Just lost a barred rock

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by thefuzz4, Dec 23, 2016.

1. thefuzz4

thefuzz4 New Egg

Sep 16, 2016
    So we just had one of our hens pass. I'm not sure what happened. She's been acting a little lethargic the last few days but I took it up to her molting. Since she was losing feathers around her neck just like the rest of the flock did this year. This is our first year with chickens and I know that normally they don't molt during the first year but both of our New Hampshire Reds did a small molt this fall around the head and neck and some on the body. We have 6 hens but 2 of them are inside for now due to injuries (they're almost ready to go back out with the flock man these birds can heal quick) So the 3 that are now left outside all seem to be fine. This one rock was just really slow the last 3 days and then just died today. It was interested I did find some ice underneath her on the deck so I'm not sure if she had some stuck to her but I looked her over the last few days just to make sure she was ok. The areas where she was losing feathers she did have new ones coming in. We've had some snow and below 0 temps a few times in the last week here in the Denver area but our coop is sealed up good for drafts and on the really cold nights we did cover her comb and waddles in Vaseline just to protect it. Just a light coat like we've read nothing to heavy.

We feed them the Nutrena Egg Layer pellets and I also give them some whole corn and scratch grains right now every day due to the cold since I've read it helps to keep them warm at night by giving their bellies something to chew on for a while.

So now we're looking for a replacement for her which will actually probably work out great since we'll have to keep the new one isolated for a few weeks and by the time that the new one is ready to go back outdoors our 2 injured girls should be ready as well. The injured ones don't have any open wounds left anymore now we're just waiting for feathers to grow back and a warmer day to let them go outside so they don't go into shock :).

In case you're wondering what caused the injury it was due to a dog bite. One of them was just minor but the other I think it was minor but the flock got to her and had pecked all the skin off the back and sides of her neck. But we took good care of them both and all of the skin has now grown back in. We should've cut off the flap of skin but we weren't exactly sure about that so we left it and it grew back on, just has a bump there now and I know she'll look a little funny from now on but I'm hoping that once all the feathers come back in it will even the look out.

2. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Its hard to diagnosis a sudden death in the flock.You can send them to a Avian Necropsy lab or PM me.Sorry for your loss.

3. thefuzz4

thefuzz4 New Egg

Sep 16, 2016
    thank you @MasterOfClucker to be honest we're not really to beat up about this loss. This bird was always a butt to the rest of the flock. We tried to put her in timeout for a bit to correct the behavior but it never fixed the problem. She was always going after our Buff she would actively seek her out in the yard and harass her. So now we just need to find a replacement bird after the holidays and then we'll be back to our legal limit of 6.

4. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

For the remaining flock of Birds cut back on the scratch grains and corn......Not needed to keep the birds warmFeathers are protein........

Add some grower to the layer at a 50/50 ratio.......

Fillers/treats at 5% daily ration.....1 Tablespoon per Bird a day.....I treat mine once a week, either an apple whole to chase around, scratch grains while free ranging...Alfalfa hay to peck at.....Cucumber........

Cheers!

5. thefuzz4

thefuzz4 New Egg

Sep 16, 2016
    thank you @chickens really I will cut back on the scratch for sure. We need to go to feed store so I'll get some of the grower as well and I've got some cucumbers in the fridge for them so I'll toss those out in the yard and let them tear into em.

6. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Thank you.....Just remember once a week to treat the birds.....Healthy Birds is what we all want....

Merry Christmas.....

Cheers!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by