Just lost a little RIR chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Britmark, Mar 7, 2017.

1. Hi Guys

First time here and first time to chick rearing.

We bought half a dozen Rhode Island chicks on Friday. I made a good size wooden crate for them and they all seemed happy and running around, eating and drinking. We noticed there was a smaller one that didn't mix much and although we suspected it, we didn't actually see the others beating up on it.

Anyway, the little feller died this morning - I had separated it from the others, just in case he might revive, but he didn't.

Is there anything I should be checking on with these little chicks - just in case I am missing anything. I wouldn't have though they were ready for a complete physical after only three days.

Any comments.

Britmark, Mount Rainier Country, Washington.

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Just keep an eye on them. Some just don't thrive.
    If they start going downhill, perhaps look for an avian vet. If that one was stunted from the beginning, the rest should be OK.
    Make sure they have lots of fresh air, a warm spot and plenty of cool space.

3. snow5164

snow5164 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2015
    Canada
    Welcome ,
    We have a product to put in the water to start chicks off right , i use it for the first week at least .No vets where I live , but our feed store is very helpful.

A smaller chick is not usually good ,
    I've had runts survive but they seem to struggle .

Keep them warm, dry and fed.

If they're running around they're happy!!
    Have fun !!

Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
  4. Thanks to both of you. Appreciate your input.

I'll keep a closer eye on them but we have been checking on them every hour since we got them. I think this one was just a weak one from the bunch.

Thanks again. I'll check that product out.

5. [​IMG]
    Just keep an eye on them and if they are running around they should be fine. Are you putting anything in their water?

6. snow5164

snow5164 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2015
    Canada

What do you use? I'm in Canada and I use " super booster" from my feed mill, my vet also sells it. I've heard of "nutri drench"??

7. I have heard of nutri drench but I have never used it. I use the Save-a-Chick probiotics and electrolytes.

8. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I just started using nutri-drench a couple months ago.
    I like that it gets into the bloodstream so fast, contains the essential amino acids missing in vegetative food sources, a good blend of vitamins and minerals, molasses for energy and stores at room temperature.

ETA
    When I start hatching larger numbers of chicks, I'll do a test with providing it for half and the rest without it.
    I also use Gro2Max in chicks first water for probiotics.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by