just lost a rhode island red......

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sumarkij, Aug 27, 2011.

1. sumarkij

sumarkij New Egg

Aug 27, 2011
    I have had 2 RIR's for 2 years. One got attacked by something while I was gone and lost her comb and some feathers. She continued to eat and was healing great. she just passed away this morning:(. will my other hen be okay by herself until spring or should i go ahead now and find some chicks to bring in with her? is it too late in the summer to get chicks. We live in western NC and it is warm now but the mornings are cool. My other hen is eating and doing fine. Please help....

2. brahmakid11

brahmakid11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2011
    sitting on the toilet
    you should get some chicks and keep them in a barn with a heat lamp

3. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    CAn you get another a similar size?

4. Denisemomof4

Denisemomof4 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2011
    Quote:isn't it recommended you not mix the ages of hens/chicks? I learned this recently when I came her with lots of health issues.

5. sumarkij

sumarkij New Egg

Aug 27, 2011
    thank you to everyone.......I just loved my chicken and now I don't want the other to get lonely.........

6. Ilovemyladies!

Ilovemyladies! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Hills of Kentucky
    You should try to get 2 or 3 hens close to her size. What breed is she?

7. MEchickenfarmer33

MEchickenfarmer33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2011
    Maine
    People raise chicks year round just as long as they are under heat lamps. I would get some more if ur other one shows signs of being lonesome. My neighbors had one hen for about amyear by herself and she was just fine on her own.[​IMG]

8. sumarkij

sumarkij New Egg

Aug 27, 2011
    she is a rhode island red. we live in a small town and I am having trouble finding any. but I am checking....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by