Just lost another chicken... :(

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by srfjeld, Jul 20, 2011.

1. srfjeld

srfjeld Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Portland
    I've lost 3 chickens since becoming a first time chicken owner in May. I'm sick of it. It's just tearing me up. This time it was my favorite girl... my Ameraucana. I went out of town for a weekend (boyfriend was home taking care of them) and when I returned she was all puffed up. She declined quickly from there to mucus coming from her beak and nose last night and this morning, totally despondent as I was taking her to the vet. The vet recommended putting her down b/c she was so far gone. So I did. I spent some time with her before they took her back. She was sleeping but opened her eyes once and I noticed one of her eyes was blood red... dr. said she may have burst a blood vessel. So, I know I made the right choice but it's so hard when it's your favorite. I now have 3 left and they seem unsure what's going on. She was pretty much the ring leader. I'm so sad for them, too... although, I'm sure they'll get over it much faster than I will. [​IMG]

2. HenCrazyMom

HenCrazyMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2011
    Merrifield, MN
    So very sorry [​IMG]

3. srfjeld

May 13, 2011
    Portland
    One good thing is that when I got home and noticed her right off the bat, I picked her up and sat with her nestled against my chest for a bit. She actually trilled for me... like she was purring. I think she missed me and felt comfort in the fact that I was there for her... at least that's what I tell myself.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  4. bustermommy

bustermommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

5. Chicky Monkey

Chicky Monkey Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2011
    I'm so sorry for your losses! I know that we will see our animals again, because our Heavenly Father and Holy Spirit (Wisdom) created them and so they go back to them! I just read the book Heaven Is For Real about a little boy that saw heaven...really good book for those who like to read nonfiction!

6. Nicolette'sFarmette

Nicolette'sFarmette Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2011
    California!
    So sorry!

7. srfjeld

May 13, 2011
    Portland
    Thank you all. It's really hard. I'm having a hard time with this one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by