1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Just lost my beloved Henny....heart broken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by RIR Mama, Jun 25, 2016.

1. RIR Mama

RIR Mama Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2016
    Sweet Home Alabama
    Last night my husband went to put the girls up for the night and found my beloved Henny almost dead from an apparent heat stroke. After bringing her in and feeding her 2 ccs of gatorade every 30 min and icing her she lost her battle. My heart is broken.

2. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

i'm so sorry to hear that happened! make sure the other chickens have plenty of shade water and frozen and fresh fruit

1 person likes this.
  3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Oh I am so sorry. [​IMG] I know how difficult it is to lose them. I hope your heavy heart heals soon. [​IMG]

Oh and welcome to BYC!

1 person likes this.
  4. First,I'm so so so very sorry about henny,I've lost many chickens,so I know how you feel.and welcome to BYC

1 person likes this.
  5. DJ Chick-a-D

DJ Chick-a-D New Egg

May 24, 2016
    Oh, dear. Hang in there. I'm so sorry for your loss!

1 person likes this.
  6. CluckerCottage

CluckerCottage Chillin' With My Peeps

A large fan is also helpful, which is what we use in extreme heat. The girls stand back from it and spread their little wings and I swear to you, they are smiling!
    So sorry for the loss of your Henny.

2 people like this.
  7. AriadneCastro

AriadneCastro Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2016
    Sintra, Portugal
    I'm so sorry about your little girl... [​IMG]I am new to this and lost a few already, so I know how you feel. It's such a tremendous powerlessness, not being able to help them when they are in distress... And when they pass away, comes the nagging question, what else could I have done? But we can't do everything, even though we would. I hope your heart heals soon, keep strong ***

1 person likes this.
  8. RIR Mama

RIR Mama Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2016
    Sweet Home Alabama
    I live right smack dab in the heart of dixie and there is no wind in most of the summers. They went through a bag of Zaxby's ice each week and had 1/2 strength Gatorade on the hottest days plus a lg oscillating fan. The heat index the night Henny died was 97F @ 7pm. I chose the RIR because they're known to be hardy in heat and cold. I think it's selfish of me to want any creature in this atmosphere. Probably still grieving. I brought Jenny in my house today for a few minutes. You kind strangers are so uplifting and I thank you very much.

1 person likes this.
  9. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft!

I'm so sorry for your loss. :hugs For such little balls of feathers, they sure leave a large hole in you heart when you loose them. Hoping you have lots of good memories and pictures to get you through this time of grieving.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by