Just lost my first chick, very thankful to one of my EE's though

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MattalynsBarn, Jun 24, 2010.

1. MattalynsBarn

MattalynsBarn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2010
    Connecticut
    Just lost my first baby Sussex. She was have trouble pooping, although nothing was blocked, seemed to be doing something like hicupping, and was sleeping in between the hicupps. I went upstairs for a minute and heard a chick screaming downstairs, so I ran back down to see what was wrong. It was one of my EE's, Luna. As soon as I walked in she stopped screaming a ran to the door. I looked around assuming one of the cats had scared her but saw nothing. I went upstairs again but came back when Luna started screaming again. This time I opened the cage door and she tried to jump out into my arms, so I picked her up and she immediately calmed down. A second later the Sussex (Who I have now named Memory) died. I like to think Luna was searching for the safety of my arms when she knew the other baby's heart was failing. Because of Luna, I was with Memory when she died.
    [​IMG]
    I'm am very broken up about this, I've been crying for about an hour. I know it's foolish, but I only got my 10 pullets 3 days ago. She was just a baby. This sucks. Aw man here come the tears again...

2. chickenriot

chickenriot Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Brownsboro, Tx.
    I'm very sorry for your loss. I can relate, as I know most of the others on this forum can.

Keep your chin up and know that she had a good life with you.

Again, I'm sorry.

3. katdam

katdam Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    texas
    i cried my eyes out when my dog tried to pull one of my RIR roos through the fence...i was building their coop when he stuck his head out to get some different grass and right there in front of me my dog grabed him by the head..broke his neck...i ran into the run and snatched him up before the others tried to peck at him...he was 8wks old..died in my arms..so i can relate to how you feel..my eyes are tearing up now just thinking about it...[​IMG]:hugs

4. sonjab314

sonjab314 Constant State of Confusion

May 15, 2010
    Missouri
    I'm so sorry. That is a touching story. And don't feel bad. I cried when I lost my first chick too. [​IMG]

5. CowboyColby

CowboyColby Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2010
    If my dog killed a chicken he would definetly not enjoy the next week of hi life. Very sad to lose one.

6. MattalynsBarn

MattalynsBarn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2010
    Connecticut
    Thanks guys. I'm feeling a lot better now, esp. because the other chicks seem fine. Any idea why it happened? or what the gurgling "hicupps" were?

7. whillo

whillo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2009
    Willamette Valley
    So sorry Mattalyn. I lost my 3 day old silkie last week. Went through all the tears and emotions of what I might have done wrong, maybe I wasn't cut out for this, maybe I should sell them before I lose any more. I surprised myself at everything that came up for this little chicken! All week I was afraid to walk down to the brooder to see who else was weak and close to going. It's helped that my little barred rock who I was so worried about has been holding her own this week. I know I'm not out of the water. I read all these posts and read about chickens dying at 10 weeks, 6 months and a year. Sometimes I ask myself what the heck I've walked into here, then I read the posts about the joy and the satisfaction the chickens bring to someone's life and ask myself why the heck I waited so long!

I don't have any answers to why your girl passed. I still don't know why I lost my silkie. I will just say keep reading here because everyone here is so great and helpful when you need them! [​IMG]

8. katdam

katdam Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    texas
    Quote:i'm sure his head hurt for a long time...i had a hammer in my hand and used it to get him to let go...he stayed clear of me for a long time...he hasn't attempted anything with the chickens since.

9. mlove

mlove Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2010
    tx
    I'm sorry for your loss.[​IMG]

10. chick4chicks

chick4chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    N.E. Pa.
    [​IMG] [​IMG], I am so sorry you lost your little sussex. They are so indearing and you become attached so quick that when it is one's time it hurts. Cry, reflect then take care of those still here. Chicks are so much fun. Just remember little one had a very good life altho a short one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by