Just lost my first chicken to a dog

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by pathwandering, Sep 6, 2014.

1. pathwandering

pathwandering Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2014
    I know people lose chickens to predators, and chickens die and people eat their chickens. I eat chicken too. But I'm still sad to have lost one. A pit bull visiting my neighbor broke the leash he was on and got to one of my chickens (my favorite chocolate orpington bantam who was just beautiful and so gentle). The irony is the chickens were free ranging at that time because I was in the middle of reinforcing the door of my run and had it off the hinges. So sad to have her die in my hands. As a new chicken owner I put so much effort into trying to ensure their safety. I guess everyone probably experiences this at some time or other.

2. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Sorry for your loss. Yes, we all go through it sooner or later. My chickens aren't my pets, but I still feel bad when I lose one. A mother raccoon got my favorite hen this summer. (How is it that it's always the favorites?) She was a good broody and kind of made herself a pet. She'd follow me around and let me reach down and pet her. She was a Blue Laced Red Wyandotte - a very pretty bird.

3. RonP

RonP Chillin' With My Peeps

Very sorry for your loss.

Sounds like you are doing everything to keep them safe so this won't happen again.

4. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    I am so sorry.

5. MrsBrooke

MrsBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    Very sorry to hear of your loss. :(

6. buckbye

buckbye Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2012
    NWCT
    Ya, it sucks, but witnessing horrible things from time to time is just part of raising animals. Most of my chickens aren't really pets and they free-range as long as it's light out.

Yesterday, one of my roosters saw me in the garden throwing cherry tomatoes that had split to the ducks, and tried to take a short-cut through the enclosed dog yard. Needless to say, 4 dogs with very high prey drives (1 GSD/husky, 1 schipperke/minpin, 2 minpins) made quick work of that meaty Marans. [​IMG] Once I realized I didn't have a chance of getting over the fence fast enough to save him, I just turned my head and left them to their lunch. Not the first time my little murderers have taken it upon themselves to harvest a live-caught dinner; I always just let them have at it once it's down, as I wouldn't expect to reform them, given their breeds. Just feel a little bad that it was I who lured that poor rooster in the first place...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by