Just lost my first chicken...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by WindcrestChickens, Dec 22, 2008.

1. WindcrestChickens

WindcrestChickens Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I posted earlier today about a sick chicken...Well she just slipped away. She hadn't eaten all day today and I just checked on her and she was gone.

We have 2 feet of snow on the ground...What should I do with her?

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Sorry for your loss. I'd either find a place in the woods to set her or freeze her to be burried later or put in the weekly pick up if you don't have the space.

3. WindcrestChickens

Feb 11, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Aww..poor girl. Now I'm all bummed....I guess the woods right? Sort of like the circle of life? Maybe coyote bait? Sorry chicken....

4. Biddieacres

Biddieacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Oh, I am so sorry to hear that.

It is so sad to loose a chicken especially after caring for them for so long. I still think about the first chicken I lost and still miss her.

They are so sweet and special all in their own little way. I might wrap her up in a box and place her outside in a safe place until the ground thaws. The cold will preserve her until she can be buried.
    [​IMG]

5. Bec

Bec THE Delaware Blue Hen

Oh man, I'm sorry for your loss! Poor little gal! [​IMG]

6. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    awww, so sorry [​IMG] [​IMG]

Do you know why she died ??

I don't think I would put her in the woods to let anything eat her unless you know why she died and only if it was from being old !!
    Wouldnt want to pass anything around !!

We put ours in a few trash bags and take them to the dump, we have dogs so putting them in the ground is not a option.

7. katiek

katiek Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2008
    Wildwood, GA
    I'm so sorry. [​IMG]

8. WindcrestChickens

Feb 11, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Now I'm a little concerned because she was only 8 months old. What is the average life span?

I think she may have been the same chick who got pasted vents as a baby...if it is the same hen, she was always a little slow on the uptake and seemed to not thrive like the others.

Hmmmm

9. dancingbear

dancingbear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    Quote:I agree, and have another reason not to put the remains out in the woods: It could attract predators to your property, where they will quickly realize there are also live chickens at hand.

You really don't want that, either, I'm sure.

So sorry you lost your hen, it happens now and then.

10. SoccerMomof7

SoccerMomof7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Kansas
    Well my one and only rooster died last night and I debated with what to do also and I finally decided that the dumpster was the best way to go. I use all of my freezer space so that wasn't an option and the ground is frozen so the only other choice is the dumpster. Yes I do feel bad but what other choice was I left with?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by