Just lost my isa brown

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by chickens rule!, Dec 29, 2008.

1. chickens rule!

chickens rule! New Egg

Dec 29, 2008
    I live in the UK in Essex weathersfield and was wondering if any one knew where i could get an Isa brown from she was such a great girl i would like 1 or 2 more?

2. danischi24

danischi24 Loves naked pets

Aug 17, 2008
    Australia
    Try a rescue to get layers that have finished their 1st cycle. PM English chick as she probably knows rescues in England.

3. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

Please be aware in the US that commercial layers have had all thier innoculations to prevent mycoplasma S.&G. ILT and several others. Our back yard birds do not get these vaccines and it will spread these illness' to our bird creating a lot of loss.
    I do not know about the UK birds but wanted to share my findings.

4. jeanniejayne

jeanniejayne Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2008
    mid-Delaware
    I am confused. How does an innoculated healthy bird spread disease? Usually vaccines are attenuated.

JJ

5. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Because the bacteria/virus does not die, its given in such small amounts that they build an immunity, and then they become contagious. Basically commercial birds are given these virus'- like cold sores, always contagious to us humans. Even after years and years, a cold sore can crop up, and when exposed to another, it is passed on through physical contact, in poultry, the water, feed and anything that creates a liquid spreads the virus.
    As for why they are contagious, that is something you will have to look up. But I'll say this much, ILT is a horrible death and commercial birds have the ILT inoculation and then it spreads a lesser virus, but the birds should be put down.
    Do as you choose but a friend of mine brought a commercial bird home and her birds that drank and ate from the same containers, died fro ILT.
    So, I go around lately making folks aware of these situations. Its sad.
    Down on my profile you will see a link, it may help you, its not a lot of information, but these conditions are not only the commercial birds, it is a huge error to have allowed these conditions that are being passed on to us from the breeders and hatcheries.
    Good luck, I'll get off my soap box now. Sorry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by