Just lost one of my Babies

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by wefanjr, Apr 25, 2008.

1. wefanjr

wefanjr Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2007
    MA
    This morning they were all fine. I've been checking and cleaning their vents. the temp is 99 degrees, they have food and fresh water daily. I came home to find my 6 day old barred rock on her back stiff as a board. No idea why. What do I do now. Should I be concerned about the rest. This stinks. I come home everyday looking forward to watching them, it's horrible to find one dead.

2. ebonykawai

ebonykawai Chillin' With My Peeps

Sometimes it just happens. [​IMG]

3. WillsMama93

WillsMama93 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    Shreveport, La
    :aww

I'm sorry

4. donnap1967

donnap1967 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2008
    Northern NJ
    Aww sorry for your loss [​IMG]

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I'm really sorry. Sometimes, it just happens. I'd say, although it's probably not related, your brooder temp seems a bit high. Of course, your thermometer may be off a bit.

6. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    AS somebody already mentioned you temp is a bit high, i think you can turn it down to 90 now. You know your chick prob just ate a bit too much bedding. It happens. I had one die without reason to.

7. debakadeb

debakadeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    SW Indiana
    I'm so sorry about your chick. The first few days I had mine, I had my DH go up first and check to make sure they were all still alive. I now go up but I always wonder if all six will be up and moving around..so first thing, I count. Somehow, I'm not sure I'll ever stop counting.

8. wefanjr

wefanjr Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2007
    MA
    The brooder is 4 ft x 1 1/2 feet, the thermometer is right under the light. There is plenty of room that's not as hot. They don't hudle anywhere or stay far away from the light. I hope I didn't do anything wrong. I thought for the first week it should be 95-100 degrees. Anyways thanks for the support. The rest seem fine still. and Deb I still count my 6 hens every time I go to the coup too.

9. Acre of Blessings

Acre of Blessings Canning/Sewing Addict

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    I'm sorry. Hope you can find it in your heart to get another one or 2 or 3 maybe 4..................

10. imprimis

imprimis Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2008
    The Thumb, MI
    I know how you feel. When I got home from work today, I found one of mine dead. They were all healthy this morning. Mine are almost two weeks old now and they love to run and jump, almost trying to fly. I think one of the bigger ones may have landed on it and could have possibly killed it? Don't blame yourself, I don't think you did anything wrong, with a brooder that size they can get far enough away from the heat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by