just lost one of my girls

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by newbie chicken mommy, Jun 8, 2011.

1. newbie chicken mommy

newbie chicken mommy New Egg

May 13, 2010
    I discovered one of my girls, lethargic and front heavy last night, before shutting the coop. She couldn't walk because she was so bloated and heavy in the chest. She looked myserable and was trying to go to sleep. I took her, quarantined her immediately, and gave her a couple large syringe fulls of antibiotic treated water, in hopes that she would pull throught the night. Unfortunately, she didn't. So now I am worried about my other chickies and if she contaminated them and I should put them ALL on antibiotics now. I did have a wierd egg about 4 days ago. There was no shell on it, just the sac. I have been getting normal eggs since then, but this is the only thing out of place I can think of. Any thoughts on what she might have had and where to go from here? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Nichole

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    I am sorry to hear about your hen. [​IMG] It is possible that she was egg bound being that you mentioned she was heavy in the front. I don't think from the description you gave here that antibiotics could or would have done anything. Sounds like a laying problem.

I had a similar trouble with one of my quail recently with a very squishy egg that she couldnt' pass. She was gasping for air and was looking like she was also a bit heavy in the front. She did survive but sometimes they don't.

I am so sorry to hear about your girl, I know how hard it is to lose one of your girls. [​IMG]

Welcome to BYC however, the folks here are very knowledgeable and the forums are a great place to learn about your flock.

-Leyla

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Front heavy sounds more like a crop issue than a laying issue.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by