Just lost one of our girls...what happened?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickenhaven, Nov 20, 2011.

1. chickenhaven

chickenhaven New Egg

Nov 20, 2011
    Hi, I am new to chicken raising and new to this forum. I am looking for some support to understand what may have caused one of our hens to die rather suddenly. Of course, I am wondering if I did something wrong out of ignorance and trying to educate myself so that it this is less likely to happen again.

Penny, a Buff Orpington, was 9 months old. She was fine all day Friday but Saturday morning was hiding on the floor under the nest boxes. When I checked her later that day, she was weak but able to move a little. I cleaned offer her bottom which was a mess from diarrhea. There was some white liquid diarrhea on the shaving under her but there were more solids stuck in the feathers around her vent. Her eyes were alert so we decided to see if she would perk up by the next day. Sunday morning she was still hiding under the next boxes but moved around a little. When I held her she was listless. We decided to bring her inside where we could watch her more closely. We made her some oatmeal with probiotics which she didn't touch. Also we gave her some water with electrolytes. This I actually fed to her with an eye dropper. About 3 half droppers carefully fed to her inside her beak. About ten minutes later I went to check on her. She began to kick and convulse and then died. Did I give her too much liquid? Too much electrolytes? Any other probable causes?

The other 7 hens are all healthy and happily roaming the yard. They free range. Is it possible that Penny ate a poisonous plant? Is there anything I need to do to keep the rest of the flock healthy?

I would appreciate any thoughts and insight.

2. anderson8505

anderson8505 Peace, Love & Happy Chickens

I suppose poisonous something is possible. Coccidosis?

3. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    It's hard to say what it was but you didn't do anything wrong that I can see. The only thing I would have done differently is to confine her in a pen away from the others so that she was not possibly spreading any contagion and also you would be able to treat her easier that way AND she would feel safer in a quiet pen that you can keep in dim lighting and it would make her feel safer. Just to be safe if I were you I would disinfect all the feeders and waterers; if you don't have any Oxine at least wash them with hot soapy water and use bleach.

Sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 20, 2011
  4. upthecreek

upthecreek Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    South Alabama
    Good advice from Chicknmania ....... but stuff happens in life thatt we sometimes cannot explain , so we just bury them and keep going .
    Best To You

Quote:

5. chickenhaven

chickenhaven New Egg

Nov 20, 2011
    Thanks so much for your kind responses. I did disinfect the feeders and will keep a careful eye on the others. [​IMG]

6. Hens_And_Chicks

Hens_And_Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Sorry for your loss - no clue what may have afflicte your chicken but one thing is for sure... they get sick fast and they are gone fast. Sounds like you did everything you could have and nothing wrong. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by