Just lost one to a hawk!!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Wendyba29, Jan 22, 2009.

1. Wendyba29

Wendyba29 Out Of The Brooder

I am at work and one of my neighbors just called to tell me that one of my chickens that I hatched my self just got killed by a hawk!!! I feel so helpless I can't go running home and gather everyone else up, This sucks!!!![​IMG]

2. texaschickmama

texaschickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    Oh no, is there anyway you can get your neighbor to gather them into the coop. They are probably all hiding already.

3. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    i hate hawks!...[​IMG]

4. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    Sorry about your chicken. Were they free-ranging? I imagine this problem is going to intensify until spring comes; I know the hawks around here are getting hungry and very bold.

Good luck keeping your chickens safe!

5. Wendyba29

Wendyba29 Out Of The Brooder

Yeah they were out for the day, Normally they stay in the woods but they must have gone up to the road cause it's warmer, I'm hoping my neighbor can round them up, they don't even come for my husband (he doesn't call them right) I can't believe I'm so upset over a chicken!! the worst part is I don't know which one it was, I hate to say I've got favorites but I do, And it was probably her, they said it didn't look like my rooster, and I've got 4 that look almost identical!!

6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    When I'm not home my birds go into their covered run. They are in the yard when I'm home.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by