Just lost our runt :(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by hd_darcy, Apr 4, 2011.

1. hd_darcy

hd_darcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Wisconsin
    We've had a runt frizzle since last spring. Got her from a hatchery as a chick. Well, she got to where she didn't even have any feathers, and she was just tiny. Like 25% - 35% the size of the others. However, she got along fine so we didn't give it too much thought. Well, the past week or so it looked like her feathers were even coming back. We were happy for that, of course. Well, I just went to shut the chickens in, and she was lying in the ground about 98% dead [​IMG] Ugh.... how sad. Poor thing. I feel more guilty that I couldn't end it for her. I'm telling myself that she was out of it, and past the point of suffering. I wrapped her in a towel and set her in the shop.

She was out and about just fine today earlier. Blows my mind she went from normal to that so fast [​IMG] Is this 'normal' for a runt chicken who apparently had something genetic wrong? Or is it usually more gradual? Could it have been anything related to her trying to lay an egg, or am I way off base?

Any thoughts would be appreciated - thank you!!

2. nuttyredhead

nuttyredhead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Southern NH
    I am so sorry. I had a silkie like that. She was always tiny, followed me around like a puppy, never grey from when i got her (4 weeks). Then one day, boom i went in and found her half alive, she died in my arms. I was so sad. I think there was always something wrong, that is why she never grew. At least your little girl was well loved!

3. Agnella

Agnella Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    N. Georgia
    So sorry [​IMG]

I have recently learned that these things can just happen.....no warning. I'm sure she knew how much you loved her!

4. hd_darcy

hd_darcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Thank you so much! My son just had her in the house a few days ago. That makes me feel better. I won't even be breaking the news to my boys [​IMG] I'm just going to pretend she's missing. Maybe it won't be as hard on them with a 'gradual loss'. Ugh....

5. zengrrl

zengrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Oakland County, MI
    I just lost my runt - a silkie this morning. Only a week old but went downhill the last 2 days. The worst feeling is not being able to make them better...or end their suffering.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by