Just made the most AMAZING discovery EVER regarding Elderberries!!!

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by luvmychicknkids, Aug 30, 2008.

1. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    At least I think so!!! I love using them but they are a serious pain to get off the stems. As far as I am concerned the fork method HAS to be a joke of some sort. It is time consuming, messy....not fun. Anyway, I made jelly with the few ripe one a couple of weeks ago. Then the rest got ripe this last week. I wasn't ready to use them so I clipped them off and put them in a big trash bag. I threw the entire thing in the freezer. I just took it out to figure out if I should thaw them before picking them off and they were falling off the stems!!!! I got all of them picked off in about 5 minutes!!!! With almost ZERO effort!!! And, I have less of the little stems than I do when I use a fork!!! I just HAD to share!!!!

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Darn, I thought your amazing discovery was going to be that if you feed them to your hens, they lay all females!

3. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    what does an elderberry taste like?..i have heard of them before.but i dont think we have them in mass?..Wendy

4. luvmychicknkids

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Quote:ROFL.......oh how I wish that was it!!!!! [​IMG]

As for the taste....to ME they taste like a combination of grapes and mulberries. They are really good. However, they are poisonous until cooked.

5. buck-wild-chick

buck-wild-chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Hamilton C. FL
    we make elderberrie wine and jelly

6. luvmychicknkids

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Quote:I do jelly. Haven't got brave enough to try making wine yet though I keep planning to! [​IMG]

7. pkeeler

pkeeler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Shamong
    I think elderberries taste like blueberries crossed with black cherries. They have a larger seed (or more thicker seeds) then blueberries, which makes eating them pretty crunchy. I think that is why most people make jelly out of them, they can strain the seeds out.

There are two main elderberries, red and blue/black. Red ones are poisonous while blue/black are not really poisonous (talking berries only). Some people are sensitive to a compound in blue/black elderberries which can be cooked out. I'm not sure if you can cook the red ones to make them edible.

I see elder flowers every June, but I almost never see ripe berries on the plants. The birds just love them that much.

8. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    My method was snip off a bunch and then sit down on the porch and roll them off the stem with my fingers. Your freezing method sounds alot easier I'll have to try it next time. I usually just make elderberry muffins or bread. I remember my parents used to make elderberry jam.

9. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

You can also use this method, instead of blanching, to get the peels off tomatoes! [​IMG]

10. luvmychicknkids

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Quote:I did not know that!!! It appears that "your freezer is your friend". [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by