Just Making Sure This New Feed Idea Is Okay.

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by PepsNick, Dec 24, 2010.

1. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    I am switching feed (old feed $40.00 for 50 lb, yep it's true) and just need to be clarified that this new method is okay.

1-14 wks- medicated chick feed from tractor supply
    14-19 wks- start/grow from purina
    rest of their lives- layena from purina with BOSS and crushed oyster shells

Thanks!

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

You can use the start and grow up until the time they start laying. The layena is fine after that. It has calcium in it already. If you feed Purina Flockraiser then you'd need to add calcium for them.

3. nitro3custom

nitro3custom Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2010
    That seems unbelievably expensive. I use a layer pellet from pulin that cost 13.99 up here. It recently increased in price was 11.99 and have no problems with it. Not really sure what your question was. And was told it had everything they need. Then i feed them what ever treats and scraps on hand.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2010
  4. PepsNick

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    Quote:"Everything they need", huh? I hear that about every feed I try. The question was if the three feeds I use for each age would work.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2010
  5. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Yes, they will work.

6. chicken_crazy93

chicken_crazy93 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2010
    Mascot
    First & foremost, MERRY CHRISTMAS!!! Now, $40.00 for 50lbs.!? My goodness, never even saw feed that expensive. I personally don't feed Purina products to any of my animals, chickens, dog, cats etc... I buy my feed from Johnson's Mill in Tazewell TN. It's a game bird mix that is 17% protein & it has pellets in it along with a whole lot of other ingredients. It's $11.00 for 50lb & they mix it themselves. I also buy my other animals feed from them also but it's not mixed from them. I have had some bad experiences with Purina & Hartz products in the long past. Purina seemed like it kept my dog's fat & wormy & I had a Hartz flea collar that caused one of my pup's hair to come out but that was several years ago, like 20 + yrs. ago. Just my opinion.

7. PepsNick

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    Quote:Ahhh. The only thing is I don't really like to use pellets. Wait... Are layena pellets? My feed is organic and that's probably why its so over-priced.

8. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Layena is available in pellet or crumble form. I get feed at the local TSC, they carry both.

Right now I am feeding Purina Flock Raiser, since I have chicks at 9 weeks, laying hens just coming out of molt and ducks. The adult birds have oyster shell available free choice. Once the chicks are old enough they will al be switched slowly back to layer pellets. I like the pellets because there is less waste.

9. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Organic usually is more expensive. Some of the organic feeds I've seen have a better selection of ingredients and are a better feed. I'd expect those to cost more. A non-organic feed with better ingredients would cost more, too.

Edited to add that I believe Layena comes in either crumbles or pellets.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2010
  10. PepsNick

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    Quote:But, seriously, $50.00?? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by