Just me!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Rhiahl, Aug 28, 2013.

1. Rhiahl

Rhiahl Out Of The Brooder

Aug 28, 2013
    I think it is always good to introduce yourself on forums. The regulars are typically so helpful. :) And, watch the intro boards for newbies so they can help!

I live on 113 acres in the mountains of Montana. Originally, well I was an Army brat and later joined the Army. My mother called Baltimore home and I spent my teenage years there.

My grandmother had some land in Virginia and canned food... she did her thing. So, basically, I had never been exposed to farm animals. Until I met my husband. He grew up on a very small cattle operation here in Montana.

I spent 25 years in the Life Insurance industry from NYC to Atlanta to Texas to Seattle and points between. So, I've lived in every area of the country. But, right now, nothing is better than Montana. I've been here 13 years. I love this time of year here. The state is "tucking in" for the winter and I love to watch the process. I gave up the corporate rat race, bought out a hazardous materials cleaning company and parked myself here in the glory of the Rockies!

I am a certified master gardner, for what that is worth :)

I learned to preserve food from a really great lady when I lived and worked in Atlanta, GA in the mid eighties. She was priceless! They had a small farm out in Alabama.

My husband HATES poultry. When I said I wanted a small flock for egg production I thought his mechanical heart valve would stop working :) !!!! He finally has said he doesn't mind as long as they weren't running all over the place AND he wasn't involved in their care (which was fine I hadn't counted on it in the first place :) ) He is on board for construction and fencing though.

So, my journey begins. With research over the last 6 months here and other places I'm looking at a couple of breeds good in cold weather and dual purpose meat/egg production. I'm not really interested in the meat at the moment but, hey, you never know. So, talking to chicken people at the local fair and a lady I know, it seems the breeds most popular for this area are Buff Orpingtons and Australorps. I think they will make a great fit here.

I'm working towards more self sufficiency. I go out to St. Ignatius, Montana this weekend to talk to a lady about miniature Jersey milk cows and Lowline (miniature Angus) beef cattle. Hoping to find something I can handle and assist with the progression towards self sufficiency. I'm excited about the milk cow because it will sure help with my leap into cheese making I made a year or so ago!

We show and compete in dogs. We happily have a Belgian Terverun, 2 Shetland Sheepdogs (all three compete in herding, obedience, rally and agility), a Brittany who is in the show ring, competes in rally and does some hunting. A Great Pyrenees/Border Collie cross that is the BEST.... good livestock dog I think he tends to guard against the local coyotes, racoons and occasional cougar (scary!). And then the Miniature Pinscher who is in the show ring and is like the ALARM at the house!

I look forward to interacting with such a knowledgeable group! And, at some point in the future helping along the way if I can!

Charlotte

2. SA Farm

SA Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2013
    Ontario, Canada
    Hi, Charlotte, and [​IMG]

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Charlotte, welcome to BYC from California wine country in the Western Sierra Foothills. :frow

Orps and 'Lorps are great dual purpose breeds. Plus they're beautiful birds with great personalities. You have a chance of getting a broody hen or two with either breed, too.

I was surprised to discover what a draw rural, mountain country was to my soul when I visited friends who had just moved here slightly over two years ago. I bought my property a few months later and LOVE living away from the madding crowd. :D

Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
  4. Rhiahl

Aug 28, 2013
    Thanks, You're right, nothing like distance from urban areas :)

5. Rhiahl

Aug 28, 2013
    Thank you! Cute welcoming committee!

6. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] I used to breed and show Cockers many years ago. What interesting breeds you have. I bet the predators have been served notice, to go on to the next farm

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. What do you do in your spare time?

9. Rhiahl

Aug 28, 2013
    Dog herding, agility, obedience. Homeschooling the last of five children :) Quilting is a lot of relaxation for me. Love to cook!

Busy days, can't wait for the winter to settle in and calm things down!

Charlotte

10. Rhiahl

Aug 28, 2013
    Yep, the coyotes can still get a little too brave for my liking. But, the Pyrenees cross has backed that off quite a bit. We're starting to hear wolves howling but have yet to see tracks. My sister in law has claimed 3 wolf kills on cattle up the mountain from us. The feds paid out on one of them. From the sounds of it, one was likely a cougar kill and the other dogs.

Eagles, hawks and turkey vultures are like my biggest fear with chickens. It's highly unlikely that during the day the four legged predators will wander in. It's just too noisy and busy with the dogs around. But, those big birds have NO fear :). I know there are rattlesnakes around but the family has been here over 100 years and only once seen a snake. Knock on wood :)

Charlotte

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by