Just molting or something more?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cmurray, Dec 31, 2016.

1. cmurray

cmurray New Egg

Dec 31, 2016
    My Black Australorp has been molting but she has this spot on her back that has been totally bare for about 6 weeks with no signs of new feathers. There are new feathers coming in around it so maybe I'm just not being patient enough. Thoughts?

2. DancingWthDucks

DancingWthDucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2016
    Cumbria, UK
    Welcome to BYC :)

How large is the bald area? It could be that she is being feather pecked by the other hens.....

3. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Do you have a rooster? Could he be over-mating this hen?

Have you hung around your flock and observed their behavior? Could the others be picking the new blood feathers out of this hen's back as fast as they grow in?

Have you inspected for parasites in your flock? Mites can cause bald patches.

4. cmurray

cmurray New Egg

Dec 31, 2016
    [​IMG]

5. cmurray

cmurray New Egg

Dec 31, 2016
    I've never seen the others pecking at her, although I don't watch them all the time. I do have a rooster that mates with her. He doesn't seem to be overly aggressive, but maybe? She's the only one with the problem so I didn't think of mites. I can inspect their coop more closely.

6. rebrascora

rebrascora Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    If you notice the feathers on the back of her neck are also missing. Those two areas both showing feather damage indicate she is being over mated probably by a juvenile rooster.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
  7. cmurray

cmurray New Egg

Dec 31, 2016
    Yes, they're all young (hatched in the spring). She does seem to be the rooster's favorite. What's the solution? A saddle?

8. rebrascora

rebrascora Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    Quote:
    Yes

Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
  9. DancingWthDucks

DancingWthDucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2016
    Cumbria, UK
    Yes a hen saddle/ apron would be a good solution. How many cockerals and pullets do you have together? Too many cockerels to the amount of pullets can cause overmating.

10. cmurray

cmurray New Egg

Dec 31, 2016
    4 pullets & 1 cockerel

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by