just moved chicks outside

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by stephanie1992, Nov 26, 2011.

1. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

they are almost two months old. been inside my house for two weeks them moved them into the gaurge with a heating pad for the rest of the time. today i moved them into a bigger cage out back. they almost have all there feathers except for on there heads and a little on there bellies. will they be ok outside? its Fall right now and we get some cold nights but nothing to bad.

2. UncleTommy

UncleTommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2011
    Sanger, CA
    I tossed mine outside without a light at about week 8 but there were 18 of them together in a coop, so they huddled together for warmth. As long as theres no drafts they should be ok. I guess compared to the rest of the country we don't get it that bad...yet

3. S.L.Swope

S.L.Swope Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    San Antonio
    I've had mine outside from day 1 well they were 3 days and 10 days old, but from the first day I got them they've been outside in their coop. Its about 60% open I just tarp it in blowing rain and have a heat lamp in their to keep them warm. This is my first time keeping chicks but so far so good only one problem with pasty butt because it was too warm in their. Right now their 3 and 4 weeks old so far so good!

4. rirbrahma

rirbrahma Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2011
    hawaii
    I think It'll be fine! They'll huddle up & keep warm! Just watch out for drafts [​IMG]

5. stephanie1992

theres 3 of them. hatched them myself. very healthy. have a tarp over them and there under a covered area. there in a old rabbit cage. just till they get big enough not to get ate by the nieghborhood cats and the hawks. lol ill keep an eye on them.

6. Fleabuskitty

Fleabuskitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    They'll be just fine! I hatched 12 chicks last month and they're about 8 weeks old now. I kept them in the brooder with the heat lamp for 2 weeks and after 2 weeks I took away the heat lamp. On week 3 I put them outside in a rabbit cage inside of the free-rangers' shed. All three batches of chicks I've raised I've turned off the light when they're 2-3 weeks old, and I haven't ever lost 1 1 chick [​IMG] If it's really cold where you live you might wanna put a light out there, but if they were in the garage before then the temperature should be fine. It seems like by the time they're 7 or 8 weeks old they can handle the same conditions as older chickens.

7. NinnyGillaspie

NinnyGillaspie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2011
    Huntsville, Tx
    I put my RIR chicks outside at week 3 with all the precautions [​IMG]of course. In Texas our weather was mild , and everything worked out fine. Here they are at 4 1/2 weeks.

8. NinnyGillaspie

NinnyGillaspie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2011
    Huntsville, Tx
    My EE at 5 1/2 weeks. We are hoping [​IMG]she's a girl. We have named her Bossy Barbara.

9. stephanie1992

They have this much feathers

[​IMG]

10. HiddenHens987

HiddenHens987 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    As long as you have it set to minimize any drafts, you should be good!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by