Just Moved Chicks to Coop

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by socalchicker1, Jul 7, 2016.

1. socalchicker1

socalchicker1 Just Hatched

Jun 7, 2016
    We just moved our 5 week old chicks to the coop and they survived the night! =) However, they have not yet figured out how to go up and down the ramp from their coop to their run yet. I want them in the run during the day but they need the coop at night to stay warm and out of the wind. We tried putting a couple up there, and one came down on its own, but the others were too afraid. Is this something they will figure out in the next few days? Is there an incentive we can provide? One of them climbed up the ramp yesterday and then squawked like crazy for 20 minutes and I had to go get her and bring her back down.

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    You could try keeping them locked in the coop for a couple of days to help them associate it as their new home. Putting treats on the ramp could help, as would putting a light in the coop at dusk (turn it off, once you lock them up). Chickens hate change, so you may have to be a little patient.

Ct

3. Chicken Egg 17

Chicken Egg 17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2015
    McVeytown PA
    It's something they will learn over time, but there is something you can do to help them go in on there own. Easily put a light on inside there coop and once they go in turn the light off and eventually you won't have to use the light good luck I hope his helps. And welcome to BYC I am glad you could join us.

4. yyz0yyz0

yyz0yyz0 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2012
    As was mentioned above, a "lockdown" period is a good place to start. After that I'd let them find their way out on their own, they will over time.

Treats will help coax them out if they are used to getting treats.

Once they start to come out into the run you will probably have to put them in the coop the first couple nights(this is where a light in the coop can help). Mine have only ever needed to be put to bed a couple times then they figured it out on their own.

5. socalchicker1

socalchicker1 Just Hatched

Jun 7, 2016
    Thanks. This is what I figured. =) Takes them time to figure it out. I'm hoping their curiosity will someday soon just simply get the better of them, haha!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by