Just moved my 1 month old keets outside

Tre3hugger

Let Your Freak Flag Fly
Mar 21, 2020
NW Massachusetts
I just moved my 9, 4 week old keets outside. I put their original tote brooder in the coop with their heat plate so they can cuddle in their if they need to. So far none of them have used the heat plate. They are LOVING all the space. They have 24ft of roost space in there. It's so nice to have them out of my bathroom! How long do you think I should provide heat at night for about 45 degree lows?
20200519_105917.jpg

20200519_172616.jpg

I just moved my 9, 4 week old keets outside. I put their original tote brooder in the coop with their heat plate so they can cuddle in their if they need to. So far none of them have used the heat plate. They are LOVING all the space. They have 24ft of roost space in there. It's so nice to have them out of my bathroom! How long do you think I should provide heat at night for about 45 degree lows?
View attachment 2149055
View attachment 2149056
I would give them the opportunity to use the heat for at least another week just to be on the safe side.

I really appreciate you putting my mind at ease @R2elk . I was going on gut and random anecdotal internet evidence. They seem mostly feathered and ready to stretch their wings, but all the "care sheets" out there say heat them for 6 or even 8 weeks! Didn't think that was necessary, and now I can be confident in that conclusion.

I really appreciate you putting my mind at ease @R2elk . I was going on gut and random anecdotal internet evidence. They seem mostly feathered and ready to stretch their wings, but all the "care sheets" out there say heat them for 6 or even 8 weeks! Didn't think that was necessary, and now I can be confident in that conclusion.
Most of the sites say to start them out hotter than I start mine (90°F). I do go with the decrease the temp by 5 degrees a week. It doesn't take very long to get them to ambient temperature when your ambient temperature may be 70° or 80°F.

Back
Top Bottom