Just Moved my birds

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by mad4chix, Oct 26, 2009.

1. mad4chix

mad4chix New Egg

Oct 26, 2009
    We are new chicken owners [​IMG] and are excited. Friends of ours were looking for a home for their 7 birds .... we were looking for some birds ..... voila! However I am curious about the transition period for their laying cycle. We've had them in their new (ultra-plush relatively speaking) coop for about a week. Although we plan on letting them run around freely we have not yet done so because we are unsure if they are "adjusted" ? yet? How long should we wait before we let them roam the yard w/out worrying that they will not return to the roost or that they'll just wander away unsupervised?

Also, and at least as importantly ..... we have been getting real limited egg production from them (2 every couple of days). A couple of them are older (3yo) but I'm curious how long it should take before they are on a regular daily egg cycle. Their light is on from 5:45am until 8pm currently. We live in North Central VT.

Thanks!
    M4Chx

2. chixie

chixie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2009
    kountze texas
    give them time and they will start laying more... and congrats on the new chickens

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by