Just moved my Broody.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by txcarl1258, Nov 21, 2010.

1. txcarl1258

txcarl1258 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    Pleasanton
    Cross your fingers everyone I just moved one of my broody hens to the broody box and hoping she stays. This has been the year of the broodies for me. All of my girls are under a year and this is the 5th one I have had! Of course the cochins I bought just for broody hens have shown no interest! Go figure. If she stays I am going to buy some eggs. Can't decide between BLRW or B/B/S Ameracaunas. Would buy some Ancona duck eggs if I could find them.

2. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

[​IMG] love me a broody.

Have one currently - she is a little Rosecomb/bantam RIR cross, not yet a year and sitting on 6 LF eggs. She growls like a demon possesed when anyone gets close - you would think she is the size of a T-rex instead of barely 10 ounces. [​IMG]

3. txcarl1258

Sep 11, 2010
    Pleasanton
    Love mine too I just don't want anymore mixed chicks. I moved her and of course she didn't want to stay in her new home. I will just give her some eggs where she is and monitor her nest.

4. can you hear me now?

can you hear me now? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    Well I have a BO that seems to want to go broody. If I put eggs in front of her will she accept them and move under her? I have never had a broody, bought silkie chicks for this, and someone gave me about 7 or so BO's. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

5. txcarl1258

Sep 11, 2010
    Pleasanton
    Sounds to me like she is broody. I have two cochin hens that haven't even shown any interest in brooding just the LF girls. You can either mark the eggs you want her to sit on in case the other hens lay in her nest or you can move her to a separate coop. This is best done at night.

6. can you hear me now?

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    Quote:Thanks will probably move her if she tries tomorrow. She gets downright mad if anyone gets in her area.

7. RioLindoAz

RioLindoAz Sleeping

Jul 8, 2007
    Yuma, Arizona
    can you hear me now? :

Well I have a BO that seems to want to go broody. If I put eggs in front of her will she accept them and move under her? I have never had a broody, bought silkie chicks for this, and someone gave me about 7 or so BO's. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

You don't have to worry about putting them under her. Just lay them in front of her and she'll tuck them in. In my experience, they won't go under until I leave her alone, so don't sit there starring like I used to... [​IMG]

8. can you hear me now?

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    Good I was hoping I could do that cause she sure is a mean one. If I get her a clutch of eggs and am sure she will continue to sit I will move her. Not looking to steal a thread so I will let yall go back to the op's subject. Thanks again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by