Just moved the meatie chicks outside

Merryment

Chirping
9 Years
Jan 20, 2011
And it's going to be 105 degrees today, plus humidity. It's going to be steamy here in Oklahoma for a few more weeks or so. They have a shady area under the roost, and I hosed that down pretty well last night, and their run has some wet corners for wallowing. I put a light canvas drop cloth over the run and have a mister running on that, with a fan blowing, hoping for evaporative cooling. Blue Ice in the waterer. Any other suggestions?

BTW, these are 4 week old red broilers. It was fun watching them on their first evening out of the brooder, exploring the run and coop. When we let them out of the roost this morning, they hopped right down, because they already knew where the food was. These solid little dino chicks are extremely motivated by food. Kind of reminds me of my brothers when they were teenagers!

I made some shallow wading pools out of big dog bowls and upturned rubber made container lids. They just stand and sit in them all day. I change out the water with cool water twice a day. Keep the wading pools in the shade. I think it's really saved me from losing any birds this summer, even the two weeks of over 115 and the 121 day.

Thanks! It does seem to help them to have a wet spot. My hens have a little mud wallow, and they line up for that. The meatie chicks have been doing like wise. The mister is creating enough water that flows into a corner of the run for them and the whole set up seems to be working. They are, unfortunately, on the sunnier side of the house. Hasn't affected their appetites, though!

Wow, that's hot!What's your humidity like? That's what's sending us over the tipping point here.

Back
Top Bottom