Just my luck... what I got out of the pullet bin! (Update)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Sock Puppet, Apr 21, 2009.

1. Sock Puppet

Sock Puppet Grumpy Hen

Mar 3, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
    Well, I went to the Pet Club and they had just gotten in some little standard chicks about an hour before I got there. The guy said they were all pullets [​IMG]

I was lucky, they had so many cute little chicks running around. I decided to get 2 standard chicks for eggs, since I have 8 Bantams at home. 10 is my limit. I looked at all the cute little Ameracauna's (thats what the sign said [​IMG] I chose two, they were soooo adoarable.

Anyway, I chose two of the most adorable EE's... [​IMG]

This is Butterscotch...
    [​IMG]

two weeks later...
    [​IMG]

This is Lemondrop...
    [​IMG]

two weeks later...
    [​IMG]

And then I saw that they had some SLW's. Ive been wanting one. I just couldnt pass up getting one. So I stood their a bit and looked at all the little SLW's. There were so many of them running around, just so cute! I spotted one and reached in and grabbed my SLW pullet chick.

This is Biscuit...
    [​IMG]

Two weeks later...
    [​IMG]

Biscuits Face...
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Of all the SLW's I could have chosen, why this one [​IMG]

Unless by some fluke, SLW pullets start getting red in their combs and wattles at two weeks of age [​IMG]

Last edited: May 8, 2009
  2. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Beautiful babies!

3. Sock Puppet

Sock Puppet Grumpy Hen

Mar 3, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
    Quote:Thank you! [​IMG]

4. kellykate

kellykate Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Yarmouth, Maine
    Ahhh I have the same issue! I got a SLW from MPC (sexed as a pullet) and she is a sweet-heart. Loves to jump up on my shoulder and hang out. But I've noticed her comb turning pink -- not red but pinkish -- very similar to yours -- she is 4 weeks old. I am curious to see if anyone responds regarding SLW combs! Let me know if you want to see a pic as comparison. Good luck -- all three chicks are cute-as-can-be! And I love your photos![​IMG]

5. Sock Puppet

Sock Puppet Grumpy Hen

Mar 3, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
    Quote:Would love to see a picture of yours, that way we can compare. Mine is only two weeks and already turning pinkish/red. Its worse than even 3 days ago.

6. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Aw, I just love Lemondrop!

7. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    Biscuit is a cockerel.

8. Sock Puppet

Sock Puppet Grumpy Hen

Mar 3, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
    Quote:Lemondrop is the best [​IMG] She always wants to be with us and will climb into my hand so I can pick her up. If she's down on the ground she will fly up onto my lap. She's a cuddler [​IMG]

Quote:Thats what I was thinking. I could tell from day one [​IMG] Very aggressive, it wasnt until he was 1 1/2 weeks that you could see the pinkish/red coming in on his comb. Which is really early I thought. Oh well!

9. k2chickens

k2chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    New Castle, Indiana
    god i hope all of mine are pullet's, i have a thread up with pics

10. Sock Puppet

Sock Puppet Grumpy Hen

Mar 3, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
    Quote:I sooo know what you mean, I hope they are all pullets for you. Its just my luck to pick the roo out of 80 some odd chicks in a pullet bin [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by