just need a few hugs

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by fallenweeble, Jul 7, 2008.

1. fallenweeble

fallenweeble Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2007
    i hatched out a batch of serama eggs last thursday and had 15 babies hatch live.
    the smallest of the chicks seemed to be having trouble standing/balancing and would lay on his right side all the time but he was very verbal so i though maybe it was simply a splay leg or something along those lines. i fixed him up with a splint using part of a soft sponge and some of that stretchy wound wrap stuff and hoped for the best. on saturday he seemed a bit weak but yesterday morning and afternoon he appeared to be much better - kinda chirpy and alert so i began thinking he was going to make it. however when i checked on all of the chicks late last night he had passed away.
    i know that it is a natural thing, that not all chicks make it but i was still very sad. he seemed to be such a little fighter.
    i am grateful that i have 14 beautiful little chicks that appear to be very healthy and active but it is a bummer to loose a baby no matter what . . .

2. sdshoars

sdshoars Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    Texas
    im sorry for your loss. its never easy [​IMG]

3. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    [​IMG]

4. Robin L

Robin L Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2008
    Wisconsin
    It does stink big time. We lost 2 babies out of 10 and it was sad. I hope everyone else does great and you dont have no more losses.

1 of the babies I lost I even slept with for 2 nights.

5. chick4chicks

chick4chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    N.E. Pa.
    [​IMG] I am so very sorry to hear about your loss. It is always hard to lose our sweet babies. Even tho he had such a short time on this journey take solace in that he had a very caring and loving Momma. Best of luck with your remaining babies.

6. Daisymay

Daisymay Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2008
    {{{{{{{{{{{{HUG}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

7. Henrietta23

Henrietta23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    {{{{fallenweeble}}}} I'm sorry! I hate losing any of them. Hope the others all thrive.

8. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    [​IMG] sorry you lost a baby

9. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    Sorry about your chick. I had a couple serama chicks die in several hatches. I think the ones I had wasn't eating. I just hatched out 3 that are doing great and I just let a friend take them home.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2008
  10. LinckHillPoultry

LinckHillPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    [​IMG]

I experienced the same thing with my little hop along.

I'm so sorry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by