1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

just need help on what to do next?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by benemerson0609, Jan 29, 2011.

1. benemerson0609

benemerson0609 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 24, 2011
    missouri orrick
    one of my rouen is hurt from fighting over a female what do i need to do next here a pic to help you guy out

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 30, 2011
  2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    I can't tell what your question(s) really is/are.

Can you please clarify? Perhaps do a list with the problem, followed by each question.

[​IMG]

3. benemerson0609

Jan 24, 2011
    missouri orrick
    what do i need to do so my 2 male ducks stop fighting one have a drop wing srry about

4. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Hi there, and welcome!

Sorry to hear about your ducks fighting. Unfortunately, it's very common for boy ducks to fight when there are not enough females. To prevent this you really only have a few options:

1. You could get more females (highly recommended! [​IMG]). You'll need about three or four females per male. They may still fight, but they are much less likely to injure each other if there are more than enough females to go around.
    2. You could find a new home for one of the drakes (my second choice). You can find new owners through craigslist or even here on BYC. If you don't have a large space for your ducks, then this is your easiest and probably best choice.
    3. You could build a pen to keep one of the drakes in, separate from the other two ducks. Your drake will be very lonely in this case, and you'll probably need at least one more duck (a female!) in order to make him less frustrated and unhappy. And it's a lot of work to build a separate predator-proof enclosure.

Sorry--I know none of those options is easy. But some things just can't be fixed, and a male duck's territorial/mating instinct is one of those. You just have to work with it, and the solutions above are tried and true and will do the trick for you (possibly with tweaking along the way). Good luck!

5. benemerson0609

Jan 24, 2011
    missouri orrick
    ty for the help i well try to find some more females for my rouen ty

6. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Yes, good advice all around. Drakes get pretty jealous and more females for each would be much better.

The drop wing sounds like a condition called "angel wing". Usually it's caused by too much protein, odd as that sounds. The usual treatment is to wrap the duck's body in tape like VetWrap with the wing in it's proper position. Not too tightly, but not loose either. After a few days to a week, the wing should be able to hold it's normal position. Do a search on BYC for "angel wing", maybe there are some pics so you'll see what I mean.

Mostly you want to provide support for the wing, not a tight strapping to the body.

7. benemerson0609

Jan 24, 2011
    missouri orrick
    ty for the help glad there place like these to help 1st time duck owners i put the 2 male ducks far apart so no more fight with blood

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by