Just Need to VENT about a bad morning, my poor chickens.

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by vfem, Apr 14, 2009.

1. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    I'm sure some of you will be judgemental and make this to be my fault... but here we go anyways.

Luckily, it was a rainy day today and kinda muddy... I wasn't going to let my chickens out until things cleared up. I went out to have a smoke randomly because my husband called and I finished a book with my daughter.

There in my chicken run was this HUGE dog who I just happened to know belonged to a neighbor a few down's parents who have only been visiting a few days. She had SHREDDED the fencing around the run. I'm in shock, I figured a dog would dig under, so I buried some fencing on the outside to keep the dogs and such from doing that. Never had a problem before, and we have a TON of strays. I keep a pellet gun to shoot the dogs if they come around, and so far we've had good control. (My rooster has done a number on quite a few of the cats around here and they really stay shy of the coop now!)

Well the entry door to the coop where everyone made it ok, is only 12"x12". The dog couldn't fit. Everyone is safe, but freaked out! (My broodies refused to budge from their eggs though.... lets hope they don't lose their broodiness after this.)

While trying to deal with the neighbor and their dog there were some kids fishing on my pond and throwing my landscaping rocks into the pond. They don't even live in my neighborhood... they were just on my property so I asked them to leave. After several threats and cussing at me... I was 2 seconds from calling the cops... I am NOT in the mood at this point. So I've decided to buy some fence to go up at the end of the property where they are cutting through my bushes.

I usually let them fish from within the wooded area... but not by my plant beds and when we're building things right now. I just don't need anyone getting hurt.

I am so mad I could just cry... yet through all this, I was as nice as I could be. I didn't shoot the dog because it had a collar and I saw it before.

I guess the worst part was the lady's daughter started snapping at me about the strays and how I need to better protect my chickens, and what if it was another dog and just happened to see her's? I mean REALLY!? And the kids talking back to me? Why do I waste my time being nice when I'm so angry?!!?

The lady's daughter did come back and apologize, and I really needed that at the point. They're being really good about it. I guess its just something I don't want to deal with today, thats' all. Somehow everyone is making me feel like that bad guy.

[​IMG]

2. Whispering Winds

Whispering Winds Chillin' With My Peeps

Wow! What a way to start the day . . .poor chickies, hope the broody's stay on their nests!! Did the dog leave, or did she at least contain it somewhere on HER property. Kids . . .I swear, block their entrance and don't let them back. It's a shame one or two people can ruin it for everyone else, but that seems to be the name of the game anymore. Keep us posted!!

3. mrsgibber

mrsgibber Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    Bolton, CT
    You are much kinder than I.... Sorry you are having a rough day....hope it gets better. [​IMG]

4. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    [​IMG] Ive had those days. Take a deep breath and [​IMG] for a minute, have a [​IMG], maybe a good [​IMG] , and if those darn kids come back give em a good [​IMG].

Hope the rest of your day is much better

Last edited: Apr 14, 2009
  5. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Quote:Yeah me too....

I just wanted to say I had family that used to live in Bolton... I grew up in Manchester CT before I moved here.

6. Fancie

Fancie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Illinois
    [​IMG]

7. mrsgibber

mrsgibber Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    Bolton, CT
    Quote:Yeah me too....

I just wanted to say I had family that used to live in Bolton... I grew up in Manchester CT before I moved here.

Really? That's funny. We moved from Manchester to Bolton a couple years ago and the repressed farm girl in me is coming out BIG TIME. I do love the town.

Where in Manchester? We were right by Bowers School.

8. hikerchick

hikerchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2009
    Dover, PA
    None of this is your fault.

Also, you probably can't help being nice. With some people, it is just a habit. (thank goodness)

9. Mandalina

Mandalina Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Savannah,MO
    that really stinks. i dread the day my neighbors dogs figure out i have chickens in the coop bc i know they will mess with my fence. i love dogs, but the ones across the road will be sporting paint if i catch them out in my yard.
    darn neighbors.

10. TaLani

TaLani ~ Gemini Chick ~

Oct 2, 2008
    Bryson City, NC
    "This too shall pass" as my grandmother would say. Don't worry, the rain and clouds will subside, the sun will emerge and brighten your day again. Lots of [​IMG] to you today!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by