Just not thriving

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by write2caroline, Sep 22, 2010.

1. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    1) What type of bird , age and weight.
    Golden Laced Wyandotte Hatched May 2009

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
    Feathers mishap funny chirp, stuff around her nose but not running congested sounding breathing, not laying eggs seems kind of listless but eating and drinking - poop normal
    Been treating her bumble foot too.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? Four days now

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? No

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. No except her bumble foot treatment.

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. I think the infection from her bumble foot.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Layena And they free range, water

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. poop is totally normal looking

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? Removed the plug from the bumble foot - daily foot soaks and rewrap of foot - Anti boitic oitment for hole in foot.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? Cannot afford a vet - It is all me.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. Okay will have to add it.

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use: Hay in the nest box and coop. Cleaned and freshened Last Sunday. I do this weekly.

Caroline

2. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    I dont know much about Bumble foot as I havent had that problem yet hope I dont, but with any infection it can spread maybe give her some antibiotic orally. Hope someone here is better able to give you more advise than me. I just started with chickens in May so I am learning too

3. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    Her bumble foot is looking better although twice she has worked off the bandages. The current bandage is holding so I am not going to check until tonight but the last two soaks it was looking good. She just still seems tired. Today she is better, still eating , drinking and pooping fine.
    Caroline

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by