Just noticed one hen coughing

rocknchickenfam

Songster
7 Years
Jun 26, 2012
Ohio
When I went out to collect eggs, I heard one of my hens coughing. I am new to the chicken raising and was wondering what steps to take from here and what to watch for or what to do. It is winter time here and averaging 20 degrees during the day and in the teens at night. Thank you kindly!

Failed to mention, there are no other symptoms and she is laying, happy and comb is red. I'm out there everyday multiple times and just noticed it today. I've heard coughing and sneezing before, but this sounds different. It's a more muffled cough not high pitched one.

If possible, you could put her in a small cage in the house or garage (somewhere warmer) for a few days. That would also help keep it from spreading to the other hens. After watching her a day or so inside, if she's still coughing or has runny nose or eyes involved, it's easy to do the injections with Tylan and get her back to normal within a few days (then don't eat her eggs for a few weeks I think to be on the safe side), if it's just something minor (probably is - so don't panic).

If you have to put her back out in the cold, just try to cover any windows of her coop so she isn't getting cold wind. It would be best though to keep her inside the house in a bathroom or something while she's sick.

Ok my concern was after she is better inside the house, would returning her to the coop outside make her sick with the temp difference. Just wondering and want to do what's right. Thank you so much for your help :)

If using the Tylan probably not (probably wouldn't make her sick again). If trying it without antibiotics though, it might, but hard to say. That sounds really cold to me (we're in TX)!

I'm in Ohio... so anyone have an opinion on what to do with this situation with it being cold. I wish it was TX here lol it's been so cold!

Make sure your coop is draft-free at night, but has some high up ventilation for moisture to escape. If she feels okay and is eating/drinking and not puffed up, I would leave her in the coop. A cough or sneeze may be from dust, feed, or an ammonia smell. Watch her for watery eyes, nasal mucus, bubbles in the eyes, wheezes or rattles in the chest (you can feel or hear them when you hold her,) and any swelling of the eye or face. If she develops other symptoms, it might be best to separate then to your basement or spare room, or put her in a cage with a heat lamp. Tylan, Gallimycin, and Duramycin10 or oxytetracycline can be used in the water to treat MG/CRD and coryza, but some of the diseases are viruses. Here is a good link about common diseases and symptoms: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Back
Top Bottom