Just one chick?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Mandie, Sep 10, 2012.

1. Mandie

Mandie Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2012
    My niece's class have been incubating eggs, and they will be sending a chick home with each student. Knowing I already have chickens, she asked if her chick could live with me.. and who am I to deny a six year old's pleading request.

I have raised chicks before, but I had six. Will one chick be okay in the brooder alone? I know this may sound silly.. but will the chick be lonely? Won't it be harder for it to regulate its temperature without all of its friends to pile on? Maybe I'm just worried for no reason.. it just seems strange to hand out a chick to a six year old!

2. TurtlePowerTrav

TurtlePowerTrav T.K.'s Farm

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    It will probably chirp more. If your brooder has a lamp, heat should not be an issue. Put a plush stuffed animal in with it for comfort and put a mirror in so it thinks it sees another chick. Maybe pick up a chick or two at your local farm store to raise with it or check craigslist for someone selling chicks near you. Good luck.

3. TurtlePowerTrav

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    And you should educate your niece's teacher that it is proper to have them go in pairs, not single. For future classroom hatchings.

4. chiqita

chiqita Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2011
    San Jose, Ca
    wow, sending a whole bunch of single chicks home is a bad idea. I don't know how appropriate it would be to talk to the teacher about ti, but you might try to suggest the send 2. that is a whole bunch of loud, unhappy birds every year...

5. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    I raised one chick alone once. It did chirp a lot and I felt bad for it so I held it a lot and let it wander around with me. It fell it love with my dog and would sit in the curl of her tail. She is fine now and acts like a normal chicken and ignores the dog.

6. Wishing4Wings

Wishing4Wings Isn't it Amazing?

May 7, 2012
    Sonoma County, CA
    Given how social chickens are, it seems that a single chick will not have as good a quality of life.

In addition to having a lonely chick, it will be riskier to introduce a single bird into an established flock when it is older. Two or three make less of a target.

I agree that communicating with the teacher would be a good idea.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2012
  7. Mandie

Mandie Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2012
    Well I'm glad to know i'm not crazy.. It just seems strange to send home a single chick. I will be speaking to the teacher about it!
    Also as far as buying a few more chicks from craigslist, They would need to be the exact same age right? Also how long do you recommend that I keep them apart to ensure everyone is healthy?

8. TurtlePowerTrav

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    Within a couple of weeks should be ok. I have 6 pullets and 2 of them are 2 weeks younger than the rest. And as chick you probably wont need to quaranteen them, just put them on medicated feed.

9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I've raised chicks up to 3 weeks apart together with no problems.

This teacher needs some serious education. She's looking at two dozen dead chicks, easy. Sorry, it kind of torques me that so many classrooms use chicks as "projects" and don't think of the fallout. Think what an uproar there would be if they bred cats or dogs each year and handed out a kitten or a puppy. Same darn thing in my opinion, except more folks seem able to keep a mammal alive than a baby bird.

10. Nichol

Nichol New Egg

Jul 25, 2012
    We had a bad hatch in July, and we only got one chick to successfully hatch. We put her in a brooder box with a stuffed animal. She was so cute and came through it just fine. She's 7 weeks now and she follows us around the yard. We plan on trying again to give her some friends, but for right now she seems okay with just our loving.

Some other people have suggested filling a sock with rice and heating it up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by