just one chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chicky 13, Jul 24, 2013.

1. Chicky 13

Chicky 13 Chirping 5 Years

Apr 12, 2013
    Mars
    would it be ok for me to raise just one chick, I would be with it a lot , when they reach about 2-3 weeks I will show them to the other chickens outside for small amounts of time each day then when it turns about 5 weeks I would put it outside.

2. chippysmom327

chippysmom327 Songster

Nov 26, 2012
    Apollo, PA
    I would definitely get more than one chick. I think it would not socialize with the other chickens correctly and consider humans it's flock.

3. Judy

Judy Crowing Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I agree it's definitely not a good idea to raise a chick alone. You would likely need to keep it separate until it is the same size as your others, and as chippysmom said, it would be identified with you instead of chickens. Integrating several new birds has its own problems and can go well or be pretty disastrous. Integrating one who had ben raised alone would be that much more difficult.

4. We had two chicks that hatched four days from each other, so the first one was by himself the first four days. He did a lot of crying from loneliness and always wanted us with him until his sibling was born.

5. Chicky 13

Chicky 13 Chirping 5 Years

Apr 12, 2013
    Mars
    yeah your right it would be mean to keep it by itself, I will try to convince my mum to get a few [​IMG]

6. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Songster 5 Years

Jul 22, 2013
    Kansas
    Good luck! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: