Just one chicken left and I fear she is cold and lonely!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by tulip, Jan 19, 2011.

1. tulip

tulip Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2008
    We started this round with four, two araucanas and two comets. One of each breed was taken from the trees by a raccoon over a year ago. Just last month our 2nd araucana, Daisy, was nabbed by a fox. She was molting off season too, so she was freezing in the cold NJ winter anyway. So, Feather is left. I wonder how long she will remember and miss her side kick Daisy. And I worry if she can keep comfortable with no other chicken body to snuggle against out in her barn. Thoughts?

Last edited: Jan 19, 2011
  2. gmendoza

gmendoza Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC
    You need to go and buy her some friends.

3. tulip

tulip Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2008
    She has two mini horses coming in July. Does that count?

4. gmendoza

gmendoza Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC
    chicken friends.not equine.Maybe even a duck.

5. tulip

tulip Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2008
    Interesting idea!

6. Wild Trapper

Wild Trapper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Ohio
    I second the, 'buy her some friends'. I think she will be okay as far as being alone, you should make her into a pet - she will be queen if you do get her some new buddies.

I have a friend that kept one chicken alone for a while, followed him all over. She was quite jealous when he did get another chicken for a friend.

7. NottinghamChicks

NottinghamChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

A horse is not the same. She needs at least one other companion and unless locked up at night it will just be a waiting game until you need another.
    My girlfriends chickens roost in the barn with the horses but they have avian friends to warn each other of danger and keep each other warm. They work together to find food and warn each other of danger. What is dangerous to a horse is quite different than that of a chicken.

Another bonus to giving them a coop is it gives them a piece of mind. They do not always have to be on their game so to speak, and you always know where to find the eggs and they are less likely to get eaten by creatures that can't catch your chickens. Good luck!!

8. tulip

tulip Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2008
    Thanks everybody. We do have a coop that we lock at night, but when the weather is good the former gang liked to come outside and roam for the day. After they got a taste of that, there was no going back. We'll think about a buddy in the spring I guess. I was worried about introducing a new bird, but maybe we'll just go for it and see what happens.

9. ryanhodapp

ryanhodapp Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    St. Louis
    I dont know where you live, but check and see if there are any chicken rescues in your area. I have seen a thread about Battery Hens and a woman rescued 3 out of Rhode Island.

Our Humane Society of MO has a place for farm animals and has chickens too.
    Spring, that is a long way away in chicken years. You just need one more...till spring

10. HHandbasket

HHandbasket The Chickeneer

Chickens are by nature very social animals and do not do well as solitaries. I do not know this from personal experience, but I have known a couple of people who have had a solitary chicken & the chicken got depressed and died from loneliness.

Horses, kids, ducks, etc., do not count. You cannot have just one chicken... it goes against their nature & is unfair to your bird. If you're not able to get more birds to put with this chicken, perhaps you can find her a home where she will be able to socialize with her own kind.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by