Just one hatched

Liz Streithorst

Hatching
Nov 26, 2021
I bought 18 "fertile" Bielefelder eggs on Ebay. 5 arrived broken, most were infertile and unless these last 2 eggs hatch out which I doubt I have just one single chick that hatched on Thanksgiving day and of course has been named Thanksgiving.

I have Thanksgiving in a box in my fish breeding room that is always warm. It has a heat lamp, so the temp in the box is 95. The chick should be just fine. But I tried raising a single once before and it was not a good experience. So what I've done is order 15 day olds from Hoover. They won't get here until December 3rd. I have a big brooder box set up for the new arrivals.

Thanksgiving will be 9 days older than the new chicks. Can I put her together with the day old's when they arrive or should I give the newbies a few days by them selves before I put her in with them?

:welcome I'd provide a mirror so that the chick knows she is a 'chick'. I'd wait until the new chicks are several days old before trying to integrate them. I'd monitor closely.

Thanks for the good advice. I did what you suggested with the mirror. What a hoot watching Thanksgiving play with her reflection in mirror.

Back
Top Bottom