Just one hen left

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by flare, Jul 29, 2013.

1. flare

flare Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2012
    Northern NJ
    I just feel awful today. My husband has been saying for the last few months that he swears he's been seeing some sort of large cat in our neighborhood. I hadn't seen it myself so i had my doubts until this morning when 3 out of 4 of my rhode islands where slaughtered. The 4th one was found terrified across the street at my neighbors house. I had gotten pretty attached to my ladies. The chicken keeping rules will also be a bit different now - we had been a bit liberal with not locking them in their coop at night so they could forage in the grass within their enclosure as early as they wanted - the one that survived will have to go on lock down now every night now that i know we have a predator.

I suppose this is a struggle that we all have to face, but it still stings.

2. jc17

jc17 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2013
    Iowa
    i had the same thing happen to me. i raised six buff orpingtons and they were all killed but one. its a bad thing, but you must deal with the cat because it will keep coming back for more.

3. flare

flare Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2012
    Northern NJ
    any advice on dealing with the cat? I have a few ideas... but i'll look to you good people first.

4. Farmer Brian

Farmer Brian Out Of The Brooder

Nov 28, 2012
    House/feral cat, or bobcat? Different laws may apply. Wet cat food with catnip, in a cage should work for the feral cat. Dispose of him as appropriate (euthanize or bring to shelter)
    Being a wildlife control pro, I see things that others sometimes don't. Seeing a cat and losing birds may not be related at all. Cat gets blamed for work of raccoon, fox, etc.
    For example, I had a lady see a skunk in her yard, and hear a noise in the wall. She assumed the skunk was going into the wall. Coincidence, one had nothing to do with the other.
    Cat probably needs to go, but don't be surprised if damage continues once cat is gone.

5. flare

flare Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2012
    Northern NJ
    All signs are pointing to a bobcat - game warden for my area has already been contacted.

6. flare

flare Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2012
    Northern NJ
    i just wanted to update you all that it was confirmed that my girls were attacked by a bobcat by fish and game. The game warden sent this picture to my hubby and said they caught him not too far from my house. We will all rest a little easier now - but will remain vigilant.
    [​IMG]

7. JanetS

JanetS Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2012
    We've lost some chickens to a bobcat so I know how you feel. Lucky for you (and your chicken) yours was caught. How is your only hen doing? Are you going to get more chickens?

8. flare

flare Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2012
    Northern NJ
    i got 3 more to replace what i lost. after the mandatory pecking order period with my remaining hen, things are starting to get back to normal

9. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    What did they do with cat? I'm hoping he is three feet under. I do not agree with the rehoming philosophy. Why take it and let it become someone else's problem.

I actually wrote a letter to the producers of Call of the Wildman on Animal Planet after the episode in which he caught a fox that was raiding a henhouse. They just took the fox out into what they called a wild life reserve (not buying it) and let it go. First the fox was probably going to try to get back to it's home range or it became someone else's chicken thief. I never heard back.

10. MelissaTXRn

MelissaTXRn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2013
    H
    Holy Cow! I am glad they caught it. Sorry for your loss.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by