1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Just one hen

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by carolynm, Mar 23, 2012.

1. carolynm

carolynm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2011
    Bailey, CO
    I have just one bantam splash cochin hen and a roo which I acquired about a month ago. The hen just started laying in 8 days she's laid 5 eggs. I think they are fertile. Here's a couple pics of two different eggs:

[​IMG]

Egg 2:

[​IMG]

What do you think?

My question is if I'd like to hatch some of these but am only getting an egg every second day is the best way to save the eggs up for up to 10 days and then set whatever I've got? I'm going to wait until May to set any but I'm just planning ahead!

2. Roosterlover5

Roosterlover5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    Yes those eggs are fertile.

Do you want your hen to hatch the eggs or will you do it with an incubator.
    You can save the eggs, until you have the desired amount. Just don't save them to long.
    And If you want your hen to do it your going to have to get her broody.

3. carolynm

carolynm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2011
    Bailey, CO
    I'd love for the hen to sit on them but considering I just got her a few weeks ago and we're moving in May -I doubt she will (and I really don't want her to go broody before the move (yikes). I'm gathering the eggs, and was thinking about hatching some (in May after the move).

Just wondering since it'll take me 10 days to get 1/2 dozen what the best thing to do is in with regard to setting them -wait a few more days for more or just set what I get within a 10 day period? I know I"m planning way ahead, but since I can't do anything but plan right now you'll have to put up with my planning LOL.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by