just one remaining ?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Rudibell, Jul 31, 2010.

1. Rudibell

Rudibell Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2010
    Star Valley, Wyoming
    Thanks to all the great advice and pictures on this website our first time processing chickens went pretty smooth this morning [​IMG]. We did 6 Barred Rocks and 2 Black Giants, all exactly 5 months old. Borrowed the chicken plucker and 2 killing cones, used the apple scraper thingy (and my fingers) for lungs and kidneys. Did them in pairs, took about 3 hours including an interuption during a lightning/rain storm...

One question remains: We found 5 developed eggs inside the chickens, they would have been laid this morning (their usual time to lay eggs it seemed). I cleaned them up as usualy with the laid eggs. Are they OK to eat just like any other egg?

2. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    yes, they're fine to eat.

3. atimme

atimme Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2010
    Chicago
    Definitely fine.

4. eKo_birdies

eKo_birdies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    just out of curiosity.... why were you butchering 5 month olds that seem to be actively laying?

5. KatyTheChickenLady

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    lol, I'm sure they butchered them to eat them [​IMG]

6. eKo_birdies

May 11, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    Quote:thanks

7. Rudibell

Jan 13, 2010
    Star Valley, Wyoming
    They had started laying a couple of weeks ago. Unfortunately, I'm allergic to eggs and dairy (not deadly allergic, so I ate the first egg sunnyside up...so yummy), and my hubby doesn't like to eat a lot of eggs, either. This was our first trial at raising backyard birds. We had decided against the big broilers, b/c of the high altitude we live at and the ugliness and seemingly 'unhealthiness' of those breeds. The 5 months was an average age of all the different suggestions that I read about. They have a good amount of fat on them, maybe I fed them too much grain (meatbird feed)? I'll let you know how they'll work out for tenderness.

So, I let the birds rest in brine for 24 hours and then transfered them into the (spare) fridge. After 20 hours in there, they still have rigor mortis, is that normal?[​IMG] I don't want to freeze them like this, as they would take a lot more room in the freezer. How long should I wait for the RM to go away (it hopefully will, right?)? Thanks again for all the advice in advance!

8. KatyTheChickenLady

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    24 - 48 hours

9. eKo_birdies

May 11, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    Quote:seeeee that was why i asked!! lol [​IMG] i'm a curious person!

10. Rudibell

Jan 13, 2010
    Star Valley, Wyoming
    Quote:seeeee that was why i asked!! lol [​IMG] i'm a curious person!

eKo, I see that you're living at 8000' - did you ever have any problems with raising birds at high elevation? Just curious here, too...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by