just one, updated with pic! entry #15

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by what was i thinking, Jan 10, 2009.

1. what was i thinking

what was i thinking Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    cny ny
    i got ducks for my dec swap. we thought they were muscovies. must not be. there was a small egga and a larger egg. the smaller egg is pipped and it is day 25.
    now what do i do? thought i had a while still. hopefully it will get some company when the other egg hatches.
    can it go in the brooder with the chicks?
    what do i feed it?

Last edited: Jan 11, 2009
  2. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    I think it will be fine in the brooder with your other chicks as long as the chicks aren't that old. If they're a lot bigger than your duckling than I would separate the duckling.

Feed the duckling non-medicated chick starter and plenty of water.

3. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Day 25 is actually not early. Maybe a day early, but that's it. It will take the duckling a full day at least to hatch after it pips. Whatever you do, do not open the bator!! You can leave it in there for 3 days to make sure none of the others are going to hatch. How many do you have left?

4. what was i thinking

Oct 1, 2008
    cny ny
    it is early if you thought it was a muscovy! there is all kinds of things in my bator right now. the only other duck even close is the other "muscovy"
    as for chicks in the brooder, i have some that hatched last weekend. but there is also 1 that is 5 weeks old and one that is a month old in there.
    i also have non medicated game starter that i feed my quail, that is what they should have right. if that is the case, then i will just put this little duckie in a tote by itself.

5. luvmychix

luvmychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    Quote:25 days is VERY early for Muscovy eggs..... Muscovy eggs take 35 days to hatch while all others take 28 days...... all can give or take a few days but, 10 days for muscovies are way too early [​IMG] I would say it is NOT muscovies or at lest mixes with the moscovy being the daddy not the momma... but that just me... maybe...

Last edited: Jan 11, 2009
  6. what was i thinking

Oct 1, 2008
    cny ny
    ya i was very surprised to hear something coming from my bator. then i saw a pip. i have been turning right up til then.

7. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:It seems like the person you got your eggs from had a bunch of different ducks, and only one was a muscovy, so the chances that the eggs are muscovy are pretty slim. How many other duck eggs do you have in there?

8. what was i thinking

Oct 1, 2008
    cny ny
    one other one from the swap and i got some two weeks ago from someone else. but i have only one from them.

9. what was i thinking

Oct 1, 2008
    cny ny
    still no baby duckie. pipped 26 hours ago. [​IMG]

10. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Just sit on your hands!!! It takes forever!! I have one trying to hatch right now. It was the first one to pip. It pipped yesterday about 9 a.m.

THEY TAKE FOREVER!!! IT WILL HAPPEN!!! Ducks are definitely a test of patience!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by