Just one?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ll, Apr 21, 2011.

1. ll

ll Chillin' With My Peeps

"Birds of a feather flock together." [​IMG] [​IMG]
    But does anyone have just one chicken?
    I originally wanted one... then we decided on two so they can keep
    each other warm in the dead of winter... now my DH is saying three
    "in case something happens to one" (my reply to his statement is we are
    going to end with with the full three count for the rest of their natural lives).
    So is just one okay? Or do they really truly need each other's company?

2. chickengal30

chickengal30 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2011
    West coast of Florida.
    Oh yes they realy do need a feathered friend, three would be good as if (heaven forbid) you loose one to health or preditor problems, youll still be ok. I have a friend who has one duck and one chicken, they are soooo in love, but shes terrified of loosing one. They realy would be far happier having a friend or friends.

3. ll

ll Chillin' With My Peeps

Thank you for your reply, I know I am happier with friends [​IMG] [​IMG]

But does annnnyone just have one? [​IMG]

4. fatbassetvineyards

fatbassetvineyards Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Redding CA
    Maybe one of each kind, but never just one.

5. Noymira

Noymira Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    Chittenden County, VT
    I have two hens now, and 8 more chicks on the way. I couldn't imagine one of my hens without the other, it seems like they'd be really lonely, even two seems a little sad to me. Chickens really are flock animals and I think need the company.

6. trilyn

trilyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    East Syracuse
    Chickens are social creatures...they do NOT function well on their own at all..sorry! The more the merrier.....trust me...I am sooo not alone in thinking that!! [​IMG]

7. snazzyboots

snazzyboots Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2011
    baltimore
    i've heard that chickens are like pringles. can't have just one [​IMG]

8. Orchid

Orchid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    North Central MN
    I don't personally know anyone who has just one chicken. I'm sure someone on here has just one, but I can't imagine that's a very happy chicken.

9. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I've read of people keeping one as a pet -- some fellow has a pet rooster and is rather well known, but I forget the rest of the story. The chicken identifies with the human and does not accept other chickens after a while.

10. ChickenBrik

ChickenBrik Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2011
    Lyman, Maine
    I had just one chicken, a 2+ year old Barred Rock hen, for close to 2 months. She lost her sisters to a hawk. I did alot of research on BYC and found most people recommended not having a single chicken and did not want her to have to wait for the baby chicks to be ready to go outside and handle her abuse. My husband and I posted wanted adds on Craig List for adult BR for her and got a response.
    Although they are being quartined right now, Miss Blue was very excited when she heard their clucking and ran right over to their coop to check them out. That was enough evidence for me that a chicken is not a solo animal! She makes regular visits to their coop through out the day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by