Just one...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by riaketty, Dec 18, 2012.

1. riaketty

riaketty Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2010
    So out of 27 eggs, we hatched a total of 1 chicken. :(
    We had some duds in the beginning that didn't even start growing (old eggs).
    2-3 that stopped around day 13.
    We ended up with 13 in the hatcher.
    One hatched. Cute little yellow baby.
    None of the others have so far. :( It's two days past the 'due' date. Not even another pip. And I know why. The temp spiked to about 104 right after the first baby hatched. I have no idea how long it stayed there. I only noticed because the new chick was panting. Turns out our electric thermometer was stuck on 100*. Once we stuck the other one in there, it read 104. Now there's 3 different ones in there so that doesn't happen again!

I feel horrible. :( And poor baby seems lonely. She's going to be spoiled rotten for sure.

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Oh man, what bad luck [​IMG] We also had a thermometer malfunction once. I don't trust them 100% anymore. I put 2 in!

I know it's difficult this time of the year, but see if you can find your lone chick a friend somewhere. They are very social creatures, like us humans, and likes having a friend around.

3. riaketty

Jun 23, 2010
    We have another batch due Xmas day, so hopefully she'll have lots of friends. I have no idea where I would get chicks now unless someone wants to ship me some from here!

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    [​IMG] Your next batch will hatch out fine! Lone chick should be O.K. until then, I reckon. It's only a week. Put a mirror and a soft toy in the brooder for her for now. Good luck!

5. riaketty

Jun 23, 2010
    Good ideas! Thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by