Just one?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chippysmom327, Mar 20, 2013.

1. chippysmom327

chippysmom327 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2012
    Apollo, PA
    I've been reading tons on chicks. I had some before but I think I did it wrong and they all just happenened to survive. I ended up keeping one that I have now. My neighbor had a chicken and they were gal pals. A few months ago Chippy's gal pal died and she's been lonely. My parents aren't too fond of more chickens and I promised I would only want one more hen since it's not healthy for one chicken to live alone.

I want a chick. I heard if you raise just one chick they will think humans are their flock and be socially awkward. What if all through it's chickhood I let it play with my hen? Or would that not go over well and the chick would still be awkward?

I found a local craigslist ad with a one week old red sex link pullet and australorp pullet only 15 minutes from my house. Just the breeds I was looking for.

So what should I do?

2. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    There is a definite chance your adult chicken will kill the new chicks unless you raise them separately til the chicks are the adult's size. It's best to do this so that they can see and hear each other.

3. Kay1993

Kay1993 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2013
    Hawaii
    I don't think it would go so well... a couple days ago I introduced my lone pullet to my other chicks (only 3 weeks apart in age), she seemed so confused and acted pretty aggressive towards them. You'd probably be better off getting another chicken close to Chippy's age/size.

4. chippysmom327

Nov 26, 2012
    Apollo, PA
    Alright Thanks! I thought they'd be agressive towards eachother if introduced as adults though.

5. Mudsow

Mudsow Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2009
    Although 1 chick is lonely, yes, they do consider you their flock. I raised one hen and she used to follow my dogs around all the time. She was definitely part of the family. She was the hit of parties, begged more than my dogs do. Once she passed, I got two bantam hens, thinking that 2 chickens are better than one and, they are so much more "chickens" than pets. Clara thrived on our attention, these two can take us or leave us. So I guess it depends on how much social time you are willing to give this bird. Clara was also housed indoors,in her hand made chicken cage/coop so she was always with her flock, not out by herself. I think an outside chicken would be too much of a draw for predators. Plus they have no socialization ability.
    Mudsow

6. chippysmom327

Nov 26, 2012
    Apollo, PA
    My one dog doesnt like her at all so inside living isn't a possibility.

Do you think she'd kill a 4 month old chick? She's extremely easygoing and when my dog runs after her she doesn't even fight back. She just ducks.

Would there be a best case scenario? Like I said, the neighbor chicken and her used to hang out all the time. I think she'll be okay, but i'm not a chicken expert like you guys ;)

7. chippysmom327

Nov 26, 2012
    Apollo, PA
    I meant to say 4 week sorry. :)

Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
  8. Reurra

Reurra Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2012
    Nova Scotia
    Any time you introduce a bird to the flock, someone is going to get pecked, poked or pulled.

If you get a 4 week old, its not a good idea to intro them until they are at least 2 months old are are very close to the same size as your girl. Although your girl is easy going with you and the other animals, she may be aggressive toward other birds. Chicken language is vastly different than what you and i understand.

You can let them live with a barrier between them until the one hen gets to the right size. I never introduce a bird without a quarantine thought. Whatever outside germs the new bird has, it could spread to your little friend. Be careful getting birds and mixing them without first making sure the new bird is healthy. Most people suggest 4 weeks. If you wait 4 weeks with the new bird under observation and isolation (at least away from your original hen), then the younger bird will ahve put on enough weight to defend herself if your original hen decides to get rough.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
  9. chippysmom327

Nov 26, 2012
    Apollo, PA
    Alright thanks! So I'll probably just keep them seperated for about 8 weeks then have a barrier between and then introduce. Do you whink that would be good?

How long till chicks can not be in the brooder?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by