just ordered 14 blackshoulder peafowl eggs.

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by arteacher, May 30, 2011.

1. arteacher

arteacher Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2010
    I ordered from G&T peacocks and will be sent overnight. I have had my sportsman on all summer. Anything I need to know? Do I really need to lay them on their side instead of in the turner? 60% humidity. I have been messing with dry incubation without much luck on my pheasants and some chicken eggs. Don't think I will risk it on the peafowl eggs.

2. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    I hatch many in a sportsman, had trouble with lot not making it out of the egg. then Craig Hopkin link on placing them on the side and hand turning and also use the auto turner.............improved my hatch rate on peafowl eggs....think alot depend on type of incubators, i have a hatchrite and roll-x eggs lay on their side ,get good hatch rate with these also. Lot of breeders start them under broody hens also for a week. which they are laying on there sides and being turned alot by the hen.

3. arteacher

May 24, 2010
    I cant disable the turning mechanism because I have pheasant and chicken eggs. Put the peafowl eggs in the hatching tray on their side?

4. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    leave the auto turner on, place eggs in trays on side and also hand turn

5. arteacher

May 24, 2010
    Quote:Ok! I read the article and saw the picture of the eggs positioned on the trays. I have those trays and understand now. How about humidity? 55-60%

6. SuperPeacockman

SuperPeacockman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Also remember to let the eggs stand still for at least 12 hour after they arrive before you start incubation.

7. C&Rman

C&Rman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2011
    Nevada
    Quote:12 hours?? So I should wait 12 hours beofre placing them in the incubator? How long can peafowl eggs be out of the incubator before they go bad?????

8. MinxFox

MinxFox Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    Quote:Woah woah woah wait really? Ooops I didn't do that with the Deerman eggs...I put them straight in the incubator since I figured that would be better than waiting to put them in since you don't know how old the eggs are.

9. 6littlechickies

6littlechickies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    Burton, OH
    Minxfox
    You will be fine. Letting the eggs rest is to Allow them to re equilibrate to room temp before putting in the bator. If they shipped
    In nice warm weather not too cold then you should be okay.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by