Just ordered 24 New Chicks!!!

Dragonfly Ranch

Songster
10 Years
May 13, 2009
Happy Valley, CA
Just wanted to share that we just ordered 12 each of Red Stars and Black Stars to add to our flock
wee.gif
They will arrive on 2-22-10 bringing our total to 36 chickens! We already have people wanting the eggs!! We never thought chickens would such a joy to have. So husband is busy building a new coop for them. We will take pictures of building the coop along the way so we can share that too!

Sandee

Last edited:
Congratulations, they are alot of fun. It is the hardest thing to explain to people who don't have chickens but they are great. I just built a new coop myself and a little advice, think of how big you need it to be and then double it and add an extra thirty square feet for storage. I started out with 12 chickens and an 80sq ft coop. Then I built one 192 sq ft with a 48 sq ft storage area to house our 100 some chickens and 60 some ducks and I am wishing I made it bigger. Take a look at our byc page to see if you can get any ideas.

Edited for my husband's bad spelling!

Last edited:
Quote:
Thank you and took at look at your page and your place is wonderful/beautiful. Yes, we agree wish we were in a position to "double" it. We are wishing we would have thought about that when we built the first coop (which is on our page) but at the time we thought we would never want more that 10 chickens. Boy were we wrong!! There are several factors why we can't make the new coop bigger but at 36 chickens we have to say enough. My husband works out of town for 3 months out of the year at peak season for the garden and I have to do it all and work full time. So we plan and manage things very carefully.

NOTE TO SELF: Buy Lotto Ticket and Win so I don't have to work
lol.png

Thanks for advice it is always welcomed.

Sandee

Back
Top Bottom