just ordered a bunch of chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by birdbrain2, Jan 19, 2009.

1. birdbrain2

birdbrain2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 25, 2008
    belleville, IL.
    i just ordered 26 chicks, (probably not a lot for some of you). i am only keeping 6. i wanted to make sure i had enough to keep warm during shipping. i got 1 Black Australorp 1 golden laced wayendotte 7 barred rocks and 17 rir's. i put an add on craigslist for the extras and sold them all in 10 min. all sold locally too. i had no idea they would go that fast. i am getting anxious, i have to wait until feb 6.[​IMG]

i don't know what happened, i used to be a tough guy from the streets. now i am a father living in the country and going to raise chickens.................never saw that coming

2. Beau coop

Beau coop Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    WNY
    Lucky! Wish I could order some more!

[​IMG]

3. jforsness

jforsness Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Good luck unloading your surplus chicks. I'm only allowed 3 in Seattle city limits, but am angling to acquire more - chicken outlaw???[​IMG]

4. birdbrain2

Dec 25, 2008
    belleville, IL.
    well technically i am not allowed any. but i asked all my neighbors and got there ok. i do live in the county and there are chickens, goats and horses next to me, but the county requires you to have 1 acre. its getting risky but i will chance it. if i have to i will move my coop five feet over to neighbors yard.[​IMG]

5. streemers

streemers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2008
    port orchard,WA
    kinda funny i grew up in the city. only pet i had was a dog now im lookin to buy acers and have a minni farm goat sheep all the good stuff. i also just orderes 12 ducks they will arrive feb 23rd i cant wait!!!

6. birdbrain2

Dec 25, 2008
    belleville, IL.
    yeah i know what you mean, i grew up in a rough neighborhood, the majority of my family where all from and living in a small town in southern indiana. both grandparents had farms and it was always my dream to live the same way. i'm not there yet but i plan to move when the market gets better and get some more acreage. i don't think i could ever move back in the city. i love gardening and look forward to my chickens, there is nothing more relaxing then spending time working out in the yard, even after working 2 jobs.

7. streemers

streemers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2008
    port orchard,WA
    well good for you i hope your dream comes true! my grandparents also had a farm. mostly cows and chickens and i loved it. I know what you mean about gardening i have a bad case of spring fever right now and i am already ordering my seeds... i know im a nut case![​IMG]

8. brooster

brooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    everyone is orderign chicks, and i have to wait to get my fair birds! [​IMG]

9. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    Helped a friend get around the 3 hen limit in the city. She talked to her neighbor and now the small tidy coop sits in his yard, but opens to her yard. Technically HE has a coop with 3 hens in it that just happen to free range over on to her side with her 3 hens.

Since her son already mowes his lawn for him and does most of his yard work, he was fine with it and enjoys a couple eggs a week.

10. birdbrain2

Dec 25, 2008
    belleville, IL.
    Quote:spring fever is right, i am going crazy waiting for spring. [​IMG]
    whenever there is a slight warming spell me and my neighbor have been building our new raised garden beds. we have about for families that all garden we don't grow the same things, each family has been assigned a few crops enough for 4 families and then we all share the bounty. we also get together to can all the goods or prepare tomato sauce for the freezer i will be sharing chicken manure and eggs along with the veggies i grow.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by