Just ordered a Diaper harness!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Big Dreamer, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Big Dreamer

Big Dreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2010
    Central, FL
    I just ordered a duck diaper for BigMomma and im sooooo excited, i picked 80's neon blue because i thought it would look good with her whiteness!
    For the setup, my family was thinking in the morning before school take off the harness and out her outside with the other ducks (Did i tell you i made a new pen???) then after school put the harness on and bring her inside and then she sleeps with me and then repeat...you think that would work? Ill have to post pics when i get them and post pics of the new run! c:
    [​IMG]

2. DuckyMom

DuckyMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    Upstate NY
    With frequent diaper changes it should be fine! are you willing to get up at night to change her? she probably shouldn't go all night with out a diaper change! I change my girls once every 4 hours at night and once every 2-3 during the day with a bath before bed and in the morning!
    Emily

3. Wokawidget

Wokawidget Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2009
    We have duck harnesses for my runner and Campbell. My Campbell looks identical to the white duck in your pic.
    We found that every 3-4 hours the nappie in the harness needed changing....which is sort of expected.
    Now my duck is 2 the harness can be changed a little less often...around 5 hours now.

The problem I have is that my white Campbell is an egg laying monster and has refused to stop laying 1 a day for almost a year and a half.
    The causes an issue as when she lay's, usually between 6am and 7am, she can't have the harness on for obvious reasons.

My ducks now live outdoors in a special duck house...but they still love coming in on an evening and sitting inside while watching TV with you.

How many eggs will your duck lay?

Woka

4. treldib

treldib Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Southern California
    [​IMG] Whaaa?? I thought Big Momma was a drake?! :OO lol.

Good Luck with the diaper!

5. FunnyBunnies12

FunnyBunnies12 Chillin' With My Peeps

I'll be ordering some myself soon.

6. Big Dreamer

Aug 21, 2010
    Central, FL
    BigMomma is a boy!! c: We thought he was a girl but then turned out to be a boy, my mom still thinks its always gonna be a girl! But the name stuck so thats his name, and we usually call BigMomma a girl anyways, but i dont think there is going to be any laying anytime soon for him! [​IMG]

7. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    ducks can lay eggs in their harnesses, as long as the harness isn't too tight or small. that's how I found out my Victor was actually a girl. lol

I know people who don't change them for 8 hours at night but give them either a spritz on the bottom or a bath in the morning (They also don't get food or water during the night). and it is true, the older the duck, the less often they poop.

Even after four hours, I always suggest to people to wipe their bottoms with a baby wipe (the sensitive kind) or a wet paper towel. this is to make sure no poop remains on the feathers.

8. Big Dreamer

Aug 21, 2010
    Central, FL
    Oh Hey nettie! Im soo excited about the harness, i told my teachers at school about it and they thought it would hurt them, and i explained it more and then they realized, but i CANT wait...for the night situation i think ill have to do the spritz thing or something becaue i dont think i can wake up every 4 hours every night! But thanks for all the comments and Im sorry but I WANT ONE SOO BAD!! C: I truley cant wait

9. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Quote:I have a Victor and a Vinny, Both of whom are girls but are referred to as boys.... they certainly act like boys! And since victor had his egg laying parts removed, he's officially a boy. lol...

I also have a girl named Ollie, but we call her a girl. all of our names are goofy! Ming Mei is chinese for smart and beautiful, then we have Moxy wh is named for her attitude, and Norie who is named after seaweed. lol

10. Big Dreamer

Aug 21, 2010
    Central, FL
    Haha those are some good names!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by