Just ordered a new coop/run for my bantams!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by The Sheriff, Dec 27, 2009.

1. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    A hawk took one of my bantams yesterday, so today I ordered a new coop with fully enclosed run for my three silkies and 2 bantams. I made several changes from this design but you get the gist. I had the coop part made three feet deep instead of only two feet. It will have an 18" area below for feeder and water with a ramp up to the living quarters. It will have a pull out deep litter tray, two nest boxes and a roost. I am so excited to be getting something safe for my little ones. I will put hardware cloth on the ground one foot wider than the run on all sides then set the run down to deter diggers. I am planting grass in half of the run and putting sand in half. I will lay sod all around it to grow thru the hardware cloth. The round door on the end of the run lays flat and you can walk on it to go in and clean the coop. Stooped over of course. The run is 8 feet long. I should have it by the end of the week!

[​IMG]

Mary

2. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Quote:Where did you get that I want that coop ha ha.

3. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Very nice! [​IMG]

4. Duke of Orpington

Duke of Orpington Out Of The Brooder

Dec 12, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    Very interesting design! Look forward to seeing pics of yours when it arrives!

Ron

5. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    That is nifty, Warden.

I am growing grass for my 24 inmates too. What I did is buy rolls of a vinyl version of hardware cloth mesh. I have put them down as they come in the 3 x 15 ft strips and sewed those together every 12" with tie wire. The grass is growing up through it and when it is high enough, I will let the chooks on it. I hope that they will always have grass to eat that they cannot rip up with their claws. I intend to do around half or more of my run that way and leave the other half dirt. Bad to isolate chooks from dirt. Was thinking you could do 2x2 frames and stretch this stuff across that and have a 2" depth that they cannot reach. That would be better than the mat I am doing. Thing is, I am doing over 1000 sq ft . [​IMG]

On your new unit, are those the nest boxes at the top? [​IMG]

6. The Sheriff

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA

I am having the same man build it who built my breeding pens, Robert at custombuiltshelters.com in Auburn, CA.

7. The Sheriff

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    Quote:Our sod already comes with a strong mesh built in. So far the chickens haven't messed it up at all. There's a lot more than just this three out there too!

[​IMG]

8. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont

I am having the same man build it who built my breeding pens, Robert at custombuiltshelters.com in Auburn, CA.

Now I wish I were in CA I remember those pens they were great!

9. Farmer Benjii

Farmer Benjii Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    Vic, AUS
    darn thats awesome girl! aw gawd i'm addicted to this forum its like so awesome especially they coop and construc.. [​IMG]

10. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    Very cute.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by