Just ordered chicks - have 1 month to get organized

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by webs66, Jul 14, 2008.

1. webs66

webs66 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2008
    Rhode Island
    Ok I just ordered 25 Buff Orpingtons from my pet chicken They will ship on Aug 11th. I need to know everything I'll need for when they arrive. My biggest question is how big of a brooder box to get. I have read so many different things, now I'm not sure. I have a 4' x 4' whelping box (I breed golden retrievers too) that I thought would be perfect, now I'm not sure it's big enough. Any help would be greatly appreciated

2. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    That should be big enough until they are about 4-5 weeks old and by that time they should be able to go to their permanent home in a hen house. Do you have one built yet?

3. webs66

webs66 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2008
    Rhode Island
    SOrt of, we have a 8 x 8 playhouse that my kids don't use anymore that my husband is going to convert. Then pen in an area around it approx 48' x 16' We figure that should be good.

4. ninjapoodles

ninjapoodles Sees What You Did There

May 24, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    My first batch of 25 Buff Orps were raised in a brooder about 5x5, and that was MORE than enough space. I kicked them out at 4 weeks. This latest bunch, I got much braver and put outdoors at 2 weeks. They're doing great. It is very warm--HOT--here.

5. HaileyandJoliesMom

HaileyandJoliesMom Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    I have a ship date of August 11th too!!! I ordered the 25 brown egg layers bargain, 10 EE's and the free rare chick from Mcmurray. My brooder is 6 x 6, hopefully that will work till they are transferred outdoors!!

Good luck with your babies.

6. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    You guys all have big brooders! Mine is a watermelon box from walmart but it did the trick till the girls were 5-6 weeks old [​IMG] (had 11 in there) By then tho they wanted OUT! Now I have 8 girls in there and they are tiny tiny yet (4 days old). They are LOVING all the run around room! lol BTW hope everyone's chicks make it safe and sound! [​IMG]

7. Sylvie

Sylvie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2008
    Ohio
    That watermelon box sounds better than my little child's pool with mis-matching pieces of cardboard taped together around it LOL! They don't fit snug and the girls get between the pool and cardboard screaming for rescue!
    It's still watermelon season here, so I'm going to ask for one! Thanks for the idea.

8. HeadHen

HeadHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    Houston, TX
    My Red Star, Black Star, RIR's, EE's, and 1 exotic are due from McMurrey 7/24 and I can't wait! Frantically trying to get ready for them. My first time owning chickens.
    I told one of my nieces the other day "Guess what, in 12 days I'm going to have chickens!" to which her mother piped in "really, I didn't even know you where pregnant". [​IMG]
    while we found that hilarious, my poor niece is now so confused...[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by