Just ordered first chicks...do you think I'll get extras?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by FlewTheCoop, Mar 4, 2009.

1. FlewTheCoop

FlewTheCoop Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2009
    Hi! I just ordered 10 chicks from Ideal (we're actually splitting with a friend). They didn't specify how small an order needed to be to expect "extras." Do you think there will be extra chicks included with an order of only 10? I'm just trying to figure out what to expect. This is my first time. [​IMG]

2. lisahaschickens

lisahaschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    in an order of 10 I would think you can definitely expect packing peanuts (that's what they call extra chicks used for warmth). 25 chicks is the minimum needs for them to stay warm enough and ship safely. I have heard that Ideal will ship smaller quantities and sometimes include a heat pack, but I would definitely think that packing peanuts are possible, if not likely [​IMG]

3. FlewTheCoop

Jan 14, 2009
    Thanks! I had a feeling. I know that they ship quarter boxes...they have a $20.00 minimum order, but not a minimum of chicks. I guess we'll just have to wait and see! [​IMG] That'll be interesting. I'm sure our neighbor would love some extras, too, so at least I won't be overrun. haha

4. TillinWithMyPeeps

TillinWithMyPeeps Waiting for Spring...

Aug 22, 2008
    Ohio
    Packing Peanuts are almost always males.

5. briana1975

briana1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Carleton Mi.
    I read on thier web site, after I put my order in for 12 chicks, that they ship in one forth box.
    1/4 box = 25 chicks. I don't know what to expect. But I am figuaring on the extras so I am not over crowded in the brooder. And if they don't send the extras for warmth then the chicks I ordered will have extra space.

6. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    I recently ordered 19 chicks from Ideal. I received 30. 11 peanuts...but one was an extra Silkie. Good luck with your new babies. [​IMG]

7. FlewTheCoop

Jan 14, 2009
    Wow. I guess I can expect a LOT of extras! haha. Well, maybe my neighbor will want some meat chickens. I wouldn't be able to do that, but I know a lot of people do. And maybe he has friends who raise chickens who might like a free rooster or two. My only concern is space...my coop won't be large enough for too many more than four or five chickens. haha.

8. CityClucks

CityClucks The Center of a 50 Mile Radius

Jan 31, 2009
    Tulsa, OK
    I ordered 10 chicks from Ideal, and they only sent 6 extras...

9. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Quote:LOL I decided I was going to be all tough and raise the extra boys for meat. UH HUH.....SURE!!!!! I had them for a few hours before I talked my mom into taking them. She then pawned them off on someone else. Somewhere down the road they may become meat but I just couldn't look at those fluffy, sweet little boys (I have three sons after all) and picture dinner!!! LOL

Oh, and I forgot to say, [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 4, 2009
  10. chickenfever

chickenfever Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    Arizona
    Quote:Oh my, I'm expecting an order of 18 chicks from Ideal. I hope I don't get that many peanuts. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by