Just ordered first cornish x and birds for a meat flock delaware over white rock

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by milleryardchx, Sep 18, 2012.

1. milleryardchx

milleryardchx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Washington State
    So I have had laying hens for years now but never meat birds, well I bit the bullet and made an order yesterday! 30 Cornish x, 12 white rock hens and 13 Delaware roos. I will keep the 2 or 3 largest roos the rest will be butchered at 20 weeks and the Cornish at around 8 weeks. Also found a local heritage meat farmer who is butchering in three days and I just purchased his best composition and largest Delaware roo that was going to be butchered. (he said he was contemplating keeping this roo for breeding but he was in the meat pen). so by spring I should have a sustainable meat flock of delaware over white rock we will see how this goes!

2. SIMZ

SIMZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    Sounds like a great plan! [​IMG]

3. EricaD

EricaD Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2012
    I'm in WA state too and have been looking for someone local who sells heritage chicken meat. Can you please pm me his/her contact info?

Thanks!!!

4. milleryardchx

May 25, 2008
    Washington State
    They are located near Oregon City its Boondockers Farm. Great people!

5. milleryardchx

May 25, 2008
    Washington State
    Here is our new Delaware roo!! big boy about 8lbs and hasn't finished filling out will be a great roo, he love the kids feeding him fruit. Hoping to maybe let my oldest son use him in 4h next year.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by