Just ordered my 4 Emdens...Have a few ?'s

Discussion in 'Geese' started by audy5000g, Feb 6, 2013.

1. audy5000g

audy5000g Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2013
    This morning I ordered 4 Emdens for my kids to show at the fair. Last year they did well. Although we only got 2 Emden's instead of 4. Another story for another time.

Anyway, last year they struggled with leg issues because I had to keep them in a small broader for too long due to being in MI. Any advice on what to do this year? When should they come out and how cold can they handle it. On every good day we let them roam a bit outside in a small cage to eat bugs and grass and then back into the broader.

Kids took Grand with one Emden and Reserve Grand with the unexpected Toulouse. But I felt bad for their lack of exercise. Their legs did end up doing fine once they got out in the huge pen, but I could tell they struggled. I didn't know squat about geese and still know very little.

Any ideas? Also is fense ok to start their lives out on or should I have straw or sawdust. Thanks

2. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
  3. CelticOaksFarm

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    ok now for brooder help.............

goto lowes, homedepot nd or other appliance sources. Ask for TWO boxes from a frig or the like. Cut them down so you can easily reach over the top. Tape together to make one large box. Line with a tarp (if inside the house) and then bedding. Hang the heat lamp at one end like your normal brooder. This gives the goslings more room to stretch and move and not be cramped for space. You can grow greens or buy them at the grocery and chop extra fine (at first) for them to eat along with their waterfowl or all flock/flock raiser feed. A little daily clean up should keep it smelling good and last until you can move them outside. On good weather day take them outside for playtime under supervision.

4. audy5000g

audy5000g Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2013
    Wow! yes that would be bigger then my broader for sure. We keep them in the garage. What kind of bedding do you suggest? We have wood chips or straw usually. I did nothing but the fence on the bottom of the broader last year.

One thing I remember from last year is they have to have water to dunk their beak in to clean it out. This made a huge mess, well not as bad as the ducks.

Thanks again.

5. CelticOaksFarm

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    A rectangular cake pan with a wire cooling rack over it with the water container on top will catch MOST of the splash and keep things drier. We use pellet horse stall bedding in all our houses, stalls, brooders. Adults who are laying get cheap hay to nest in as we dont get straw too readily here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by